ISU students impact Iowa corn at collegiate level

Casey Campbell

For most people, corn is just a vegetable.

For some students on campus, corn has many potentials and is capable of leading them to a successful career.

The Iowa Corn Growers Association and the Iowa Corn Promotion Board are grassroots organizations that promote corn, all of its uses, and influence policy for the farmers in Iowa.

The Iowa Corn Growers Association picks college students every year from every agricultural college in the state to serve on an advisory team.

This year, 18 students from Iowa were picked to serve on the Iowa Corn Collegiate Advisory Team.

Among those 18, five were from Iowa State — Trent Taglauer, sophomore in agricultural business; Warren Bailey, senior in agronomy; Michael Barr, sophomore in agricultural business; Mikayla Edwards, junior in animal ecology; and Kaitlin Ihns, a junior in agricultural studies.

Students serve as ambassadors for the Iowa Corn Production Board and the Iowa Corn Growers Association.

Haley Banwart, senior in agricultural and life sciences education and a member of the 2014-15 team, said the students are a “voice for farmers” to discuss important issues in the agriculture industry such as membership in Iowa Corn, checkoff dollars, research and cellulosic ethanol.

Banwart said the most important aspect of being on the team was networking. She said she had the chance to meet staff members from Iowa Corn and people all across the industry.

“[The program] focused on Iowa Corn but is much more than that,” Banwart said. “By being on the team I got to learn more about the industry and agriculture in Iowa.”

The new members for this upcoming year will have the opportunity to attend events such as the Iowa Corn 300, State FFA Convention and the Commodity Classic.

Attending events and recruiting members are important aspects of being on the team.

Barr said the team will also have the chance to make a commercial to impact the industry in a positive way.

“Being on the team is a good chance to advocate for agriculture in Iowa — to impact farmers and be the voice they need for policy, and to promote corn for the industry”.