Records smashed in day one of the Big Challenge

Cassidy Miller )

Day one of the three-day Big Challenge in Lawrence, Kan., had ISU swimming and diving breaking personal records and season-best times.

Thirteen personal records along with 36 season-best results helped Iowa State finish the first day in fourth place with 173.50 points.

Five of the six swimmers who swam in the 500 freestyle qualified for finals, while all swimmers in the event set a new season-best time. In the finals, there were four ISU top-15 finishes. Sophomore Mary Kate Luddy lead Iowa State with a time of 4:55.96. 

Sophomore Kasey Roberts placed second in the 200 individual medley prelims, with a time of 2:01.74, the eight-best time in Iowa State 200 IM history. Senior Marissa Engle finished fourth. In the finals, Roberts took third overall, claiming four of the Cyclones top-ten best finishes in the 200 IM.

Six of the top-24 spots in the 50 free preliminaries were Cyclones, while nine swimmers qualified for finals. Freshman Evan Hundley and junior Kenzie Goudreau performed a new personal best with times clocking in at 24.52 and 24.04, respectively. 

Iowa State placed second in the 200-freestyle relay, cutting 4.44 seconds off of its previous season-best time.

Iowa State diving dominated the KU Dive invite. Julie Dickenson, a junior, placed first with a score of 540.70, and senior Elyse Brouillette placed second with 499.85. Another Cyclone placed in the top ten: freshman Maggie James in sixth place with 460.40. 

The Cyclones are back tomorrow at 10 a.m. on Nov. 21 for day two of the Big Challenge and the KU Dive invite.