IRHA partakes in first reads

Kelsey Palmros

Inter-Residence Hall Association met at the Memorial Union in the Campanile Room for its weekly meeting Thursday discussing upcoming residence hall events and gave speakers the chance to propose bills.

The association went through the reading of several bills first. PhilanthroFest, an event dedicated to raising money for student philanthropy groups, had representatives speak on behalf of the proposed bill that had been vetoed this past weekend.

Parliament members voiced their concerns on where the IHRA funding would go to and how it would benefit residence hall students. The PhilanthroFest representatives countered their concerns with the idea of residence hall students potentially receiving discounts of wrist bands that will be given out prior to the on-campus glow run that would kick off the PhilanthroFest.

The PhilanthroFest event is going to be located at 316 Lynn Ave. within the greek community. IRHA did not move to wave the second read, thus bringing the idea of IRHA helping fund the event again in the next meeting on Oct. 29.

IRHA also had first reads of proposed funding to Jingle Jog, as well as additional funding for Cyclone Cinema. Both will be readdressed in the next meeting.

A representative from Extra Life spoke on behalf of an event that will be taken place the second weekend of November. This event is dedicated to raising money for children miracle life hospitals and is something students can participate on their own time.

Extra Life is asking for students to participate in an activity, such as games, for a set number of hours consecutively and for them to ask for donations as they partake in these hours. This event will be up for a second read next week, as well.

Other announcements included results of Fall Fest, Student Government reports, committee reports, as well as reports from the executives.