Ways for students to save on Night Life

Ellen Bombela

College is expensive, so it is no surprise that students have trouble figuring out how much money they can spend on weekend entertainment.

The average college student spends about $190 each month on alcohol, food and entertainment, which adds up to about $2,280 a year, according to savethestudent.org.

While many students have part-time jobs or receive money from their parents, it would be in their best interests to cut down on the amount of money they spend by finding ways to save money.

Coupons

One of the ways that students could save is by using coupons, which can be obtained in many ways, including newspaper advertisements, coupon books and online. All of these coupons may save only a little here, a little there, but it adds up in the long run.

Discounts

One discount system available to students is an ISU Student Alumni Association membership. Students can sign up online. A year-long membership costs $20 and includes many discounts from local businesses, a free t-shirt and a free events calendar.  

Making small adjustments

Another way students can save money is to simply spend less.

“We watch movies at our apartment and free movies on campus,” said Emily Dornath, a junior in graphic design. “We also find other things to do around campus.” 

Cyclone Cinema is a popular attraction on weekends. Sponsored by the Student Union Board, Cyclone Cinema features a different movie each weekend in Carver Hall Auditorium. Show times are 7 and 10 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays.  

It is not realistic to ask college students to cut off all of their fun spending. But students could become more mindful of what they are actually spending.

For example, students could cut down on the number of times they eat out or order food for delivery. Instead, they could meet their friends at a dining center or cafe on campus and use a meal bundle or dining dollars, which some students are already paying for anyway. 

Students living off campus can save money by buying groceries and cooking their food at home.

Get a part-time job

If students don’t want to spend less money, then a part-time job could provide them with more money to spend.

“Having a job has a small influence on spending habits,” said Connor Kuhlemeier, junior in agricultural studies. “You can spend money on necessities and it’s like your money never left your wallet.”