Gravitate looking to expand to Ames

Audra Kincart

Gravitate, a coworking site located in Des Moines and started by Wood on Sept. 2, 2014, is looking to expand to Ames to connect two business communities.

“Our relationship with [Wood] is really another champion of start up communities in the Des Moines area which was creating space for businesses to cohabitate together,” said Kris Fessler, previous manager of Vault Coworking and Collaboration Space in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Coworking is a term that describes an office space where independent business owners and entrepreneurs have a place to work outside of home and share equipment and ideas.

Coworking sites provide an alternative to distracting homes and coffee shops where maybe you don’t feel comfortable leaving your laptop out while you use the restroom, Geoff Wood, the start-up business’ creator, said.

“Work with yourself, not by yourself,” Wood said. “It’s a big community of independent professionals who need a place to come together and be in a community.”

There are multiple factors as to why Wood would like to expand to the Ames community. Ames is currently the largest city in Iowa without a coworking space and Wood would like to see more interaction between the Des Moines and Ames business districts.

“What makes the space successful is the community that gather there,” Wood said.

Wood has already launched a website to see what interest there is for a coworking site in Ames. The website includes an interest list, which has more than 40 prospective clients. Wood has a goal of reaching 100 before making any final decisions on expanding to Ames.

“If we get a critical mass together it will continue to grown just like how it continues to grow in Des Moines,” Wood said.

Some prospective sites for Gravitate if coming to Ames include in Campustown, downtown Ames, Somerset and the ISU Research Park. If Gravitate is located in Ames, Wood plans on hiring Iowa State students for various jobs including office managers.

“Magic happens when you bring people together,” said Kris Fessler, previous manager for Vault Coworking and Collaboration Space. “People are able to work more mobile now, and having a space to be around other creative people is very important.”

Vault Coworking and Collaboration includes a startup school with classes to help aspiring entrepreneurs. Fessler describes the start-up community as “very robust” and sees expanding to Ames as a wise option.

A coworking site like Gravitate will bring a middle ground to what Iowa State and the Ames community have to offer for aspiring entrepreneurs, said Judi Eyles, director for the Pappajohn Center for Enterpreneurship.

“The only reason we don’t have that is space and resources, were doing a number of other things so its not something we have established,” Eyles said. “To replicate one in Ames is a good opportunity.”

Although the best location for a coworking site is yet to be determined, the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship said the prospects provided by one of these sites is key for students with a start up idea.

“Connections are really important especially if you’re a student,” Wright said. “What it provides to students is the opportunity to guide them to other resources, that collaboration and is the core part to success in entrepreneurship.”

The other coworking site in Iowa is Busy Coworking located in downtown Iowa City. The coworking space is open 24/7 for members and walk-ins are welcome between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily. Busy Coworking has a total of seven rooms and is currently over capacity.