Veishea replacements recommended

Greg Zwiers/Iowa State Daily

Hillary Kletscher, Government of the Student Body president, speaks at the June 5 Veishea Task Force meeting. The task force voted unanimously to make significant changes to Veishea in the future.

Makayla Tendall

Though the official Veishea celebrations are as crushed as the light pole students knocked down in the 2014 riot, President Steven Leath received recommendations from a task force outlining possible events that could fill the void. 

The task force was formed after the 2014 riot, where students threw bottles and rocks at police and tore down street signs and a light pole that injured one man. The committee consisted of faculty and representatives from Student Government, a student-athlete and members of Student Affairs.

The committee found that the official Veishea traditions were overshadowed by the unofficial activities with which students associated the celebration of colleges. It said students wanted entertainment, and the traditions of Veishea were not serving a purpose because students were not engaging in the official activities.

Veishea also provided many student organizations on campus with an opportunity to fundraise for their club.

One of the recommendations was that another campus-wide event would not take place late in the spring semester. One of the main purposes for another event is to showcase the students at Iowa State. 

The recommendations include: 

• A winter event, which would be early to mid-January to welcome students back to campus.
  • A celebration in February that would feature the sell of cherry pies for Valentine’s Day. The event may also celebrate Black History Month.
  • A “March Madness” event where a game watch party will take place at Hilton Coliseum for the final men’s basketball game. This could give clubs a chance to display their products and fundraise. 
  • A celebration of arts in April that would highlight artistic factions of the university, such as the Fashion Show, theatre production groups and Cyclone Market.
  • A parade that would use the same route as the homecoming parade. It would begin in downtown Ames and conclude on campus, with a possible college showcase at the end.
  • Community service event: Students would lead a community service project during the fall semester.