ISU Statesmen to perform two-session concert Sunday

The Iowa Statesmen will perform at 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Martha Ellen-Tye Recital Hall.

Sha Meng

ISU’s Iowa Statesmen choir will perform a two-session concert at 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Sunday in the Martha Ellen-Tye Recital Hall.

Tickets for students are $3 and adult tickets are $5.

The Iowa Statesmen is an all-men choir of roughly 150 students ranging from freshmen to seniors. Performers are from all over campus and many are non-music majors.

“I’ve been in the group for four years,” said Anthony Battani, senior in history and treasurer of the choir. “In my freshman year we got about 120 people, and now I guess we’re up to 145 to 150 people.”

According to Battani, the Iowa Statesmen choir is composed of four major vocal sections, including two bass parts and two tenor parts. 

With such a large choir, the Statesmen decided to give the two-session concert in order to better serve the community and accommodate the singers’ schedules.

“A lot of our concerts are with other choirs and are usually held in Stephens Auditorium, which holds a lot more people, so we just do one concert,” said Matthew Kelly, sophomore in chemistry and senator and social chair of the Iowa Statesmen.

“Last year we were gonna do one [concert] and now we have to do it in two [parts], which was nice because we sold a lot of the tickets, so there will be a lot of people here,” Kelly said.

Though there will be two sessions, the songs will be the same, which allows people to view the same concert regardless of what time they see the show.

When talking about the songs performed in the concert, Charles Hoffman, president of the Iowa Statesmen, said, “We like to cover a wide variety, we have many traditional pieces from the 1800s to pieces that were written in the last few decades. There are many fun songs that audience can enjoy, and this concert essentially shows the audience what the Statesmen can do.”

Besides campus concerts, the Iowa Statesmen also perform in concert tours around the states every year, not only to have the chance to perform in other states but also to gain more experience singing and touring.

For the first time this year, the Statesmen will hold three concert tours off campus.

“We’re going to Minneapolis the weekend after this concert,” Hoffman said. “In the spring we’ll go to Ottumwa and St. Paul.”

For more information on the Iowa Statesmen, visit the ISU Dept. of Music Web Page for the event. For additional information, visit the Iowa Statesmen’s website