Student Government to have joint meeting with Ames City Council

Michaela Ramm

The Student Government Senate meeting will serve as a joint meeting with Ames City Council on Wednesday.

Senators will meet with representatives from City Council to discuss issues that are prevalent on campus.

One topic will include transportation. They will discuss CyRide, Campustown parking, bike infrastructure and snow and ice removal. They will also discuss the availability and prices of housing.

In their special orders, senators will vote to confirm members of the election commission for next semester’s Student Government elections.

The election commission oversees the election of Student Government and ensures every candidate is ethical in his or her campaign process. 

The bill to nominate students to the commission, if passed by the Senate, will seat five members under the direction of Election Commissioner Alex Rodgers, senior in agricultural and life sciences education.

Student Government will also discuss the funding of several student organizations, including Swim Club, Latino Heritage Committee and Cyclone Cinema.

The senators will vote on a bill in order to fund $6,683 to Cyclone Cinema, operated by the Student Union Board, which Student Government has funded every year.

The Swim Club, which has experienced an unexpected growth in membership, is asking for $339.90 in order to fund the events it plans to attend in Madison, Wis., and Manhattan, Kan.

Student Government will also discuss a bill to fund $5,600 to the Latino Heritage Committee. The committee hopes to celebrate Latino Heritage Month by throwing a Cultural Night on Nov. 7. 

The Student Government Senate will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.