Erin Baldwin to lead Thielen Student Health Center

Erin Baldwin.

Erin Baldwin.

Makayla Tendall

Erin Baldwin will begin as the director of the Thielen Student Health Center on Jan. 4. 

Baldwin is now serving as the chief operating officer for Mahaska Health Partnership in Oskaloosa, Iowa. 

President Steven Leath said Baldwin was chosen because she has extensive experience in the healthcare industry. Leath also said he believes Baldwin will help to bring the health center back to the level of care students desire. 

“Improving the level of service and care provided by the Thielen Student Health Center is a key university priority,” Leath said. “We recognize that healthy students are more engaged, productive and successful. Erin Baldwin has the credentials to ensure the health center is operating at the highest level and our students are receiving first-rate, holistic care.”

Baldwin has led provider-based clinics and worked in pharmacy, lab, radiology, physical and occupational therapy, food and nutrition services, behavioral health services and public health.

She earned her bachelor’s degree in respiratory care at the University of Kansas Medical Center in 2003 and earned a master’s of healthcare administration and master’s of public health from the University of Iowa in 2006.

Baldwin said she found out earlier this week that she got the position and was excited to begin. She said she already met some staff members during the interview process.

Before Jan. 4, Baldwin will be meeting with Tom Hill, vice president for Student Affairs, and Martino Harmon, associate vice president for Student Affairs, to see where the greatest challenges still lay and where the accomplishments have been made under interim director Mary Hensley. 

She said she is excited to interact with students again, as she did during her time working at William Penn University. 

“I am really excited to get a chance to work with students,” Baldwin said. “There’s just a lot of vibrancy and excitement around the college experience. I’m really anxious to come to campus and get to work to make the health center the best for students.” 

Baldwin will begin at Iowa State working on efficient and effective ways the health center can manage finances and provide access for patients. 

“I think one of the first things is how we are going to deal with the access, how do we get more access for students?” Baldwin said. “Another thing is really take a deep dive into the financial status for the health center.” 

Baldwin said the main goal she has as director is to keep an eye on the factors such as financial stability, student access and quality of care at the health center “so it doesn’t end up where we’re at now.”