Democrats attempt to unseat Grassley in 2016

Bob Krause, Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate.

Paige Korver

After a lengthy battle for Iowa’s U.S. Senate seat last year, another seat is up for grabs in 2016. Democratic candidates Bob Krause and Rob Hogg are ready for one of many challenges: longtime U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley.

But it won’t be an easy feat. Grassley has been elected six times, most recently in 2010, when he won against Des Moines attorney Roxanne Conlin with almost 65 percent of the vote.

Bob Krause is a former state representative from Des Moines. He is most passionate about addressing the income crisis of the middle class and fixing the permanent underclass problem because of how much it impacts children.

“I have emphasized incomes, not all minimum wage, but also worker’s rights and jobs overseas,” Krause said.

Krause said he is very confident about this race, having served with Grassley in the Iowa legislature in the 1970s.

He said he saw many things Grassley “had done wrong” and believes Grassley has become “out of touch” with today’s younger generation.

One of the most pressing issues facing students is student debt and the cost of tuition. 

“We need to rework the system,” Krause said. “We need to look into debt forgiveness and also bankruptcy laws and how we should handle student debt.”

Krause wants to raise minimum wage to help students work their way through college and education funding to keep tuition down. He’d also like to look at the market and how jobs are created to help students obtain jobs.

Rob Hogg is currently the state senator from Cedar Rapids. He emphasizes addressing climate change and political campaigns. 

Hogg said the Congress needs to work for the good of the people, the country and the future. He’s confident about his standing in the race.

“I’ve done a good job when I was senator,” Hogg said. “I was a leader on important issues, such as climate change, flood protection, our education system, mental health and public safety. I have a strong vision for the future.”

Hogg prioritizes education in training and youth employment. He has supported funding for higher education in the past.

Hogg previously pushed people to work earlier to lower poverty.

“There’s no shortage of work to be done, it will make the communities stronger and also push a better economy,” Hogg said.

Another candidate, Tom Fiegen, a former state senator, is also running, but he wasn’t available for an interview.

While the candidates may be confident about their chances, Grassley said he is “confident” in another term. In a September interview with The Daily, Grassley said he is focusing on being a senator, but will start campaigning in the coming months.

The three Democrats will have to compete in the primary election, which will take place in the summer of 2016. The general election will take place in November 2016.