Cyclone Hockey dominate, sweep Southern Illinois-Edwardsville

Freshman Jake Uglem, defense, races down the rink in attempt to block a shot during the Iowa State University game against Ohio University on Oct. 31. Iowa State pulled ahead in overtime with a 2-1 score.

It wasn’t a secret that Cyclone Hockey struggled to put the puck in the net last season.

A return to full health for a few players, the arrival of multiple impact freshmen and 20 opening-weekend goals later and Cyclone Hockey is showing signs of a much improved offense for the new season.

The Cyclones followed up its 9-0 win on Friday night with a dominant 11-1 victory against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Saturday to improve to 2-0 on the season.

Freshman Jon Severson got the scoring started with the game’s first goal at 14:23 in the first period.

Three goals followed in the next three minutes and Cyclone Hockey never looked back.

Nine different players scored on Saturday night, including freshman Tony Uglem and Junior Dalton Kaake, who both added a pair of goals for the Cyclones.

Sophomore goaltender Matt Goedeke nearly kept Southern Illinois Edwardsville off the scoreboard for the second consecutive game, but the Cougars netted a 5-on-3 power-play goal in the final minutes of the game.

Cyclone Hockey will play host to the Missouri State Bears at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena next weekend for a double-header.