Nominations being accepted for Women of Impact calendar

Kyndal Reimer

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to list the correct name for the LGBTQA+ Faculty and Staff Association. The former version of this story listed the organization as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Ally Faculty and Staff Association, which is not the correct name.

Female ISU students, staff and faculty members who have significantly impacted the community are seen around campus, but now some can receive recognition for their outstanding qualities.

Nominations are being accepted for these women to appear in the 2016 Women Impacting ISU calendar until Sept. 30.

Put together by the Catt Associates student leadership organization, the first calendar premiered in 2007 and has been put out every year since. This year celebrates the 10th edition. 

“Women do a lot of great things on campus, and it’s important to be recognized for making [Iowa State] such a great place.” said Kristine Perkins, public relations and student programs coordinator at the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women in Politics.

The calendar served as an appreciation of current students, faculty and staff who are individual figures in the ISU community. The target was to feature the importance of women and the variety of roles they play here.

Jean Anderson, director of the dietetics internship program and adjunct instructor and senior clinician of dietetics, was an honoree last year.

“It was both a surprise and an honor to be recognized last year,” Anderson said. “Being willing to take risks, having courage and being fearless is really all it takes.”

Each of these poster-sized calendars features 12 women, their photographs and small bios about them and what they’ve done to be nominated.

“Nominations are judged by a committee comprised of representatives from the Catt Center and its student programs, previous calendar honorees and additional members of the ISU community, a mix of faculty, staff, merit. They review the applicants and select the honorees. A different selection committee is formed each year,” according to the Catt Center website.

To nominate a woman who has made a strong impact, go online to the Catt Center website, find the events tab, click on the Women Impacting ISU Calendar and fill out the form.

“Emphasize their contributions to campus life and their impact on others, follow directions on the nomination form, take time to write a compelling letter of recommendation and keep in mind the selection committee will be a mix of people from different disciplines across campus,” the website suggests. 

Nominees will be contacted in November. In January, there will be a reception to honor the honorees and unveil them to the public. Free posters will be available at this reception on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Nicci Port, administrative specialist in the College of Human Sciences, was honored for her leadership of the LGBTQA+ Faculty and Staff Association.

“This experience made me feel like my focus, inclusion initiatives, was valued at [Iowa State],” Port said. “That is a good feeling as a current staff member, and a good message for the university to send to all who see the calendar.”

After the 108 women who have gone before them, 12 more women will soon join the club.