Student Government Senate to discuss funding

ISD

ISD

Michaela Ramm

Student Government Senate on Wednesday will vote on funding several student organizations on campus as well as a bill that would change the way campus clubs receive funding.

The meeting has been pushed back to 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Memorial Union, due to the open Multicultural Forum with President Steven Leath that will take place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Senators will discuss and vote on a bill that will eliminate a bylaw that restricts student organizations from requesting funding from more than one college council.

By striking the bylaw, organizations will be able to be sponsored by more than one college council, including Student Government. However, these clubs will still be restricted from receiving funding from more than one academic department.

The Senate will also vote on several bills that would provide funding for several campus organizations, including the Puerto Rican Student Association, Iowa State Singers, ISU Bowling and the Iranian Students and Scholars Association.

The Puerto Rican Student Association is requesting $1,275 from Student Government to host a Puerto Rican Cultural Night, an event meant to share the group’s culture with the Ames and ISU community. The event is meant to be free to the public.

The Senate will also discuss a bill that will fund $3,200.55 to Iowa State Singers. Iowa State Singers have been invited to perform in Carnegie Hall in New York City and 70 members are currently slated to go to New York to perform. The money from Student Government would be put toward funding the trip. 

Senators also plan to discuss a bill to fund ISU Bowling, a group that requested $3,092.55 due to the increase in student interest since last year. The club wishes to add more teams to its competitive competition series. 

The Iranian Students and Scholars Association is requesting $1,675 be allocated to its accounts to fund a Nowruz event to celebrate the Persian New Year on March 21, 2016. The funds would be used for the club to purchase videos not available at Parks Library, as well as traditional cloths required for the ceremonies.