June news in review

By Matthew Rezab, [email protected]

A construction worker sits alone Friday evening after a construction accident took the life of his colleague, and critically injured another.

Isd Staff

June 2 – Fred Hoiberg begins new chapter in career

The Chicago Bulls introduced Fred Hoiberg as their next head coach on June 2, leaving a coaching vacancy with high expectations behind at Iowa State.

Hoiberg led the Cyclones to back-to-back Big 12 tournament championships and a Sweet 16 appearance in 2014.

“There’s not a better fan base in college basketball. … We had a thing in our arena called Hilton Magic and it’s true. We won a lot of games because of the fans,” Hoiberg said. “I’m always going to be a Cyclone.”

June 4 – Board of Regents president says tuition freeze may end in January

Board of Regents President Bruce Rastetter said at a Board of Regents meeting on June 4 that a tuition freeze at Iowa’s regent universities will continue in the fall, but may end in January.

June 6 – Ricky Rubio stops in Ames before Joni Ernst’s Roast and Ride

Presidential candidate Marco Rubio, R-Fla., stopped in Ames on June 6 before going to Joni Ernst’s Roast and Ride event in Boone.

Rubio said he supports education reform, but said not everyone needs a four-year college degree. He said America still needs people to work middle-class jobs.

June 6 – Joni Ernst hosts Roast and Ride event in Boone, Iowa

Joni Ernst hosted her inaugural Roast and Ride in Boone on June 6.

Seven presidential candidates gave speeches at the event, including former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, retired neurosurgeon Dr. Ben Carson, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

June 8 – Steve Prohm called upon to replace Hoiberg

A week after “The Mayor” boarded the plane to Chicago, Iowa State reacted with urgency by hiring Murray State head coach Steve Prohm on June 8.

Prohm led Murray State to 104-29 overall record in his four years as head coach. In Prohm’s first year, Murray State finished the season with a 31-2 record and a top-10 ranking before losing in the round of 32 in the NCAA tournament.

“I’m not here to replace [Fred]. I’m here to learn from [him] and rely upon him,” Prohm said at his introductory press conference.

June 11 – Christie advocates for education reform during stop in Ames

Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie talked to a room full of students, faculty and the public at Iowa State about creating a higher education system that is more readily available and affordable for low-income and middle-class families.

“Even while federal government spending for higher education has grown, the resources for poorer students have grown increasingly slimmer,” Christie said.

June 12 – Iowa GOP votes in favor of canceling straw poll

With growing concerns for its relevance, the Iowa Straw Poll was canceled by the Iowa Republican Party State Central Committee June 12.

“I’ve said since December that we would only hold a straw poll if the candidates wanted one, and this year that is just not the case,” Iowa Republican Party Chairman Jeff Kaufmann said.

June 12 – Edward Kemboi finishes first in 800-meter at NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships

ISU senior middle distance runner Edward Kemboi won his first ever outdoor track championship in Eugene, Ore., on June 12, with a 1:49.26 time in the finals of the 800-meter run.

“I’ve been training all day every day,” Kemboi said on the ESPN broadcast of the event. “Since last year’s loss, I was like, ‘You know what, I’m going to go back and train.'”

June 13 and 14 – Hillary Clinton makes appearance in Sioux City, Des Moines

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton attended a house party with supporters in Sioux City on June 13 before speaking at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines on June 14.

Clinton continued to focus on building the grassroots organization in Iowa needed to win the Democratic nomination for the president.

June 15 – Jeb Bush joins 2016 presidential race, visits Iowa on June 17

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush joined the 2016 presidential race on June 15 before giving a speech in Pella, Iowa, on June 17.

“I will campaign as I would serve, going everywhere, speaking to everyone, keeping my word, facing the issues without flinching and staying true to what I believe,” Bush said “I will take nothing and no one for granted. I will run with heart. I will run to win.”

June 19 – Two die from Campustown construction accident

Javier Hernandez, of Des Moines, was pronounced dead on the scene after a construction accident involving a fall from scaffolding at 2300 Lincoln Way on June 19.

Alfredo Jarez, of Des Moines, was also involved in the accident and was treated at Mary Greeley Medical Center before his death.

June 19 – Boyfriend of Tong Shao arrested in China

The boyfriend of Tong Shao was arrested in China on June 19 after fleeing the United States last fall.

Shao was a student at Iowa Student who went missing last fall and was found dead nine days later in her Toyota Camry in Iowa City.

Xiangnan Li, Shao’s boyfriend, was arrested on charges of intentional homicide after surrendering himself to police in China, according to a news release from the Iowa City Police Department.

June 20 – One man dies in Ames shooting

According to a press release by the Ames Police Department, Mason Turner, 23, of Burlington City, N.J., was shot in the head at 1 a.m. June 20. The man who fired shots was identified as Jacob Lumley, 23, of Ames.

The case remains under investigation. 

June 25 – Supreme Court upholds health-care law

U.S. Supreme Court justices voted 6-3 to reject a challenge to Obamacare.

“Congress passed the Affordable Care Act to improve health insurance markets, not to destroy them,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court’s majority. “If at all possible, we must interpret the act in a way that is consistent with the former, and avoid the latter.”

June 26 – Supreme Court rules in favor of same-sex marriage

The U.S. Supreme Court voted in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage in all 50 states on June 26.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the majority opinion for the 5-4 landmark decision.

“The Court now holds that same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry,” Kennedy wrote. “No longer may this liberty be denied.”

June 28 – Martin O’Malley makes stop in Ames

Democratic presidential candidate Martin O’Malley focused on the economy fossil fuels and immigration during a stop in Ames on June 28.

“Why would the nation, who is drowning in debt, want to bury the next generation in more debt? We should be investing in the schools to make collegiate education more affordable,” O’Malley said.

June 29 – One suspect identified in connection to armed robbery

One person was injured after being assaulted during the commission of an armed robbery at 3817 Marigold Dr. on June 29.

The Ames Police Department identified one suspect as Jeremy Devon McCorley, 25, of Ames.

June 29 – Former ISU basketball player Jackson Vroman found dead

Former ISU forward/center Jackson Vroman’s body was found dead at his home on the morning of June 29, according to the Los Angeles County Examiner’s-Coronor’s office.

Vroman played for the Cyclones from 2002-04 and averaged 13.2 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game during his 63-game stint.

June 30 – Second armed robbery in Ames

Ames Police Cmdr. Jason Tuttle said police were called to the 2700 block of Melrose Avenue near North Grand Mall on June 30 in response to a report that two black men had broken into a private residence.

When officers arrived on the scene, the resident was found with lacerations on his head, Tuttle said.

Police were unsure if the two suspects were the same men responsible for the robbery at 3817 Marigold Dr. on June 29.