Students celebrate women’s right to vote

1920 — Carrie Chapman Catt founds the League of Womens Voters and runs for president for the Georgist Commonwealth Land Party.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

1920 — Carrie Chapman Catt founds the League of Women’s Voters and runs for president for the Georgist Commonwealth Land Party.

Kyndal Reimer

95 years ago, the U.S. Secretary of State signed the approval of the ratification of the 19th Amendment. With this signature came the beginning of a monumental change of the winds in society. On that day, women in America were finally given the right to vote.

“Students don’t always understand the gift they’ve been granted in this day and age,” said Kristine Perkins the public relations and student programs coordinator for the Carrie Chapman Catt Center.

Iowa State’s very own Carrie Chapman Catt, graduate of 1880, was a prominent figure in the campaign for women’s suffrage. Catt was president of the National American Woman Suffrage Association at the time of the ratification of the 19th Amendment.

In honor of the anniversary, the Catt Center for Women and Politics, the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center and the Ames League of Women Voters are coming together to host a celebration at the Plaza of Heroines of Catt Hall. On Wednesday from 10:30-3:30, the staff offers voter registration, conversation, lemonade, and cookies for all students to indulge in.

“This event and the history behind it is extremely important today, especially in 2015, because it’s an excellent reminder of how far we’ve come,” Perkins said. “It empowers students, women and men alike, to pay attention and use their power to vote.”

Unique to this years’ event, the celebration will be acting as the liaison for the Andrew Goodman Foundation’s program called “Vote Everywhere.” This foundation is recognized nationwide as an outlet for preparing students with leadership skills and promoting young adults to get involved in their democracy.

The Andrew Goodman Foundation’s mission is to, “empower the next generation to initiate and sustain creative and effective social action; we enable leaders and their communities to flourish by operating and investing in programs that advance civic engagement and intergenerational coalitions.”

The collaborators behind the event hope to ignite a fire beneath students, especially females, that inspires them to step up and participate in their political system on all levels.

Students have expressed their gratitude for this historic shift.

“This day is important to me because so many women and men have argued and fought for me to have the basic human right of being able to vote,” said Jordan McKee, sophomore in psychology major. “Having a day to appreciate what they did is just one way to show a fraction of my gratitude and help to remember how far equality has come.”

Women’s Equality Day is a relevant holiday for more than just the females.

“It is a crucial holiday with a history we need to be informed about,” said Ethan Beatty, junior in industrial design. “It is an important day to highlight on equality for not only women, but for all variations of people.”