Morgan Kurht transformed by summer with Team USA

Sam Greene/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Morgan Kurht celebrates after Iowa State scored one of the final points in their match against TCU. Iowa State won the match 3-2 after five sets on Nov. 15. 

Brian Mozey

Redshirt junior hitter Morgan Kuhrt had a transformational experience this past summer.

Kuhrt was selected and participated on the USA Volleyball Collegiate National Team in China. She was one of 12 players who represented the United States overseas.

Her confidence and gameplay from the summer will transition into the upcoming season at Iowa State.

“I think, and this might be too strong a word, that trip was transformational,” said ISU volleyball coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “When she came back, she seemed a little different and a little more sure of herself.”

Kuhrt said she went to the tryouts with the mindset of doing her best, but understanding that it was Team USA, she didn’t expect to make the team. Once she found out she was representing her country in China during the month of June, she was honored and excited to start a journey.

“She gained so much confidence from that trip [to China], and it’s great she had that experience,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I can’t wait to see that confidence carry over into the upcoming season.”

Kurht’s self assurance has aided her transition to an important leader on the team. She isn’t afraid to hit a bad shot because she learns from her mistakes and becomes a better player from those corrections.

Her leadership will be needed this season with six freshmen joining the squad, and Kurht said she’s comfortable playing with the new players because of her experience in China.

“It was an awesome learning experience just playing with a bunch of new girls, and I think that’s a good example for the incoming freshman class,” Kurht said. “We have new personalities and new teammates, so I think I learned a lot as a person and a player going over there.”

Johnson-Lynch said Kurht has become more vocal on the court in her fourth year, telling the younger and older players what to expect regarding formations and taking control of kill opportunities by the net.

Outside hitter Victoria Hurtt has graduated, leaving behind her a gap atop the team structure both on and off the court that Kurht will be partially responsible to fill. She said hopes to follow in Hurtt’s footsteps to help in any way she can.

Kurht has also faced with a new obstacle this pre-season — an injury. She has never been injured throughout her career at Iowa State, but she’s been hampered recently by a minor back injury.

Kurht has undergone treatment and physical therapy with the athletic trainers and said it’s been healing surprisingly fast. After the Cardinal and Gold scrimmage match Sunday, Kurht said her back had very little pain, and she’s ready to play next weekend in the Cyclone Invitational.

As a redshirt junior, Kurht has two more years on the team and is excited by the influx of talent blooming around her.

“I think this team can do really great things, like the Final Four and Big 12 Championship,” Kurht said. “I hope I can contribute as a leader and a player throughout the season to become team we want to be.”