Student Union Board offers good times

Orchesis II club dances on the stage at the 2013 Global Gala. The event was presented by the Student Union Board on Friday, April 5, 2013, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Daniel Baldus

The Student Union Board is a student-run organization that plans and promotes events on campus for students to enjoy.

Whether students are looking to have fun at one of the events it hosts or working behind the scenes to help the events run smoothly, SUB is a student organization to consider.

The organization is free for anyone to join, regardless of experience. Students interested in joining SUB should fill out the “Join SUB” application at Sub.iastate.edu.

SUB also holds general meetings at 5 p.m. every other Wednesday, starting Aug. 26, which provide another option to get involved.

SUB has 13 executive board members and is organized into several committees based on different areas of interest.

SUB makes plans for the Maintenance Shop, a music and entertainment venue housed in the Memorial Union. Events at the M-shop include concerts, improv comedy performances, open mic nights and more throughout the year. The M-shop also serves as a lounge from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. weekdays where students can hang out and study.

The Special Events Committee hosts major performances by professional entertainers, from comedians to musicians to hypnotists. Spring 2014 events included comedian Brooks Wheelan from Saturday Night Live, a Michael Jackson tribute act and the Cyclone Voice singing competition emceed by singer-songwriter Andy Grammer.

SUB also helps with ISU AfterDark, a series of on-campus events that take place at night.

The Films Committee of SUB runs Cyclone Cinema, an event that broadcasts films for free at Carver Hall auditorium. Showings from this spring included everything from blockbusters like The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 to critically acclaimed films like Birdman and Nightcrawler.

The Multicultural Awareness Committee brings a variety of art forms to campus, including comedians, slam poets, theater presentations and cultural bands. The committee also creates the Global Gala, an annual event that takes place in the Memorial Union’s Great Hall, where students can display their culture with music, dance, food and fashion.

The Varieties Committee hosts performances by ISU students with a variety of artistic talents, from 18- to 20-minute mini-musicals written and choreographed by students to short vignettes showcasing a talent such as stand-up comedy or belly dancing. The Varieties Committee encourages students to get involved, whether it be through a talent they want to showcase or by becoming involved with the committee.