A dance to celebrate life

Student dancers start a conga line during Iowa State’s annual Dance Marathon on Jan. 24. Students danced and stood for 12 hours in support of those who cannot. Students raised $444,253.18 for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

Mariah Wellman

ISU Dance Marathon is one of the largest student-run organizations on campus and is a year-long celebration of life.

Students work with miracle families year-round in various events like 4K For the Kids fun run, football and basketball games and high school dance marathons. 

Dance Marathon serves children and their families treated at the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. Through emotional and financial support, students who participate in Dance Marathon work to make a difference. 

Each year, Dance Marathon culminates with a two-day event that allows students to connect with miracle families that have experienced change in their life as a result of fundraising efforts. There are also games to play, a lot of dancing and a pledge by fundraisers to stay on their feet for 24 hours. At the end of the weekend, the amount of money raised is revealed.  

January 2015 was the first ISU Dance Marathon that was split into two 12-hour shifts during the weekend. This gave more students an opportunity to participate and experience the activities. More than $440,000 was raised by participants. 

Students can sign up to participate in activities throughout the year and for Dance Marathon weekend by going to Dance Marathon’s website.