ISU students among emerging artists at arts festival

Photo: Kendra Plathe/Iowa State Daily

The Des Moines Arts Festival will take place Friday through Sunday and feature artwork from various ISU graduates.

Leah Landrum

Visit the Des Moines Arts Festival to experience the artistic expression of skilled artists from across the country. The festival includes a special program, Emerging Iowa Artists, to showcase the work of budding artists. 

Among these rising artists are three ISU graduates and one ISU College of Design graduate student. In addition, there are two other College of Design graduates among the professional artists at the festival. 

Karen Doty, gradate student in graphic design, will participate in the festival for the first time this year. Doty is a mixed-media artist who has a bachelor’s degree in journalism and visual communication from Truman State University. She will graduate with a Master of Fine Arts in graphic design and a certificate in human computer interaction from Iowa State this August.

Doty will showcase work she has produced as a graduate student at Iowa State. A lot of her work consists of watercolor and gouache, and she often scans and edits her images in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. She will also present some original pieces and art printed on metal.

Doty will give a demonstration on layering watercolor and gouache over ink drawings on textured paper from noon to 1 p.m. on June 26, the first day of the festival.  

Liz Fisher, ISU alumna, will also be part of the festival for the first time this year. Fisher will display bracelets, earrings, pendants and rings and will also exhibit sculptural metal work that she produced during her time at Iowa State. She uses brass, copper, silver, stones, crystals and petrified wood, among other natural materials.

Fisher said she is most excited to see the professional artists, make connections and be inspired during the festival. She said that to get involved in the Emerging Iowa Artists program an artist must submit an application with 10 photos and an essay and meet the eligibility requirements.

Fisher will demonstrate how she cuts out designs from sheets of metal from 5 to 6 p.m. June 27.

Alumna Emily Baxter will exhibit her sterling silver and semi-precious stone jewelry. Among the jewelry will be earrings, pendants, bracelets and rings. This will be Baxter’s second year participating in the festival.

Baxter will show audiences how she bezel-sets stones and pierces silver from 2 to 3 p.m. June 27.

Sarah Lokenvitz, alumna, will participate in the festival for the second time this year. Lokenvitz will display wooden furniture, wood-burning pieces and photography.

Lokenvitz will perform pyrography techniques from 1 to 2 p.m. June 28.

Carrie Hoffnagle and Chris Vance, ISU College of Design alumni, are included in the professional artists at the festival this year. 

Hoffnagle is a jewelry designer with a degree in integrated studio arts and journalism and mass communication. This will be Hoffnagle’s third year at the festival. 

Vance is a contemporary painter with a degree in visual studies. This year marks Vance’s 11th showing at the festival.  

The festival runs from June 26 to 28. Admission is free and the festival is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on June 26 and 27 and open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 28. It is located at the Western Gateway Park in downtown Des Moines.

For more information about the Des Moines Arts Festival, go to www.desmoinesartsfestival.org.