ISU women’s track, field sends 12 to regionals

Christina Hillman throws the shot put at the Big 12 Outdoor Championship on May 17, 2015. 

Kyle Heim

Twelve athletes on the ISU women’s track team will compete at the NCAA West Preliminaries meet in Austin, Texas on Thursday-Saturday. The group includes one sprinter, one hurdler, six distance runners, three jumpers and two throwers. 

The top 12 competitors in each individual event advance to the NCAA Outdoor Championship on June 10-13 in Eugene, Ore. 

Senior Kendra White – 400-meter dash

White enters regionals 11 days removed from her career-best performance in the 400-meter dash — 52.53 finish in the preliminaries of the event at the Big 12 Outdoor Championship. The time was .90 faster than her previous best, and ranks as the 15th fastest at regionals.

“Coach [Glenn] Smith has prepared me and I think I’m ready,” White said. “I’m ready to do big things [and] end the season on a high note.”

• Start time of the 400-meter dash (prelim): 7:20 p.m. Thursday
  • Start time of the 400-meter dash (semi-final): 6 p.m. Friday

Freshman Evelyne Guay – 800-meter run

Guay is one of three true freshmen competing at regionals for the women’s team. She earned a bid to the meet in an event she competed in for the first time this season at the Big 12 Outdoor Championship on May 16. Her seed time of 2:09.43 ranks 45th among 48 competitors. 

• Start time of the 800-meter run (prelim): 8:10 p.m. Thursday
  • Start time of the 800-meter run (semi-final): 7 p.m. Friday 

Junior Perez Rotich – 1,500-meter run

Rotich qualified for regionals at the Payton Jordan Invitational on May 2 with a personal record-setting performance in the 1,500-meter run. She followed up that performance with a sixth-place finish in the finals of the event at the Big 12 Outdoor Championship. Rotich’s 4:25.01 time in the 1,500-meter run ranks 46th. 

• Start time of the 1,500-meter run (prelim): 5:30 p.m. Thursday
  • Start time of the 1,500-meter run (semi-final): 6:30 p.m. Saturday

Freshman Abby Caldwell – 3,000-meter steeplechase

Caldwell joins Guay as one of the three true freshmen athletes competing at regionals for the Cyclones. She owns the school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, which she set at the Payton Jordan Invitational on May 2. Caldwell’s time of 10:19.21 ranks her 17th among competitors. 

• Start time of the 3,000-meter steeplechase (prelim): 8:50 p.m. Friday

Redshirt junior Colleen Riley – 3,000-meter steeplechase

Riley joins Caldwell as the only ISU duo in an event at regionals. The pair has exchanged the school record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase three times this season. Riley’s time top time of 10:25.83 ranks 28th. 

Redshirt freshman Erin Hooker – 5,000-meter run

Hooker ran her qualifying time for regionals in the 5,000-meter run at the Stanford Invitational on April 3. And it happened while wearing a shoe and a half — Hooker finished the race with her left shoe partially off. Her 16:11.94 time ranks 21st. 

• Start time of the 5,000-meter run (prelim): 8:05 p.m. Saturday

Redshirt senior Katy Moen – 10,000-meter run

On paper, Moen provides Iowa State with its best opportunity to advance a runner to nationals. She enters with the fifth fastest qualifying time in the field — 33:09.63, which she set at the Payton Jordan Invitational on May 2. But in order to advance nationals, Moen will need to improve on her performance from the Big 12 Outdoor Championship after clocking a time of 34:23.20.

• Start time of the 10,000-meter run (prelim): 9 p.m. Thursday

Junior Alyssa Gonzalez – 400-meter hurdles

Gonzalez stands out among this list because she is the only hurdler competing for the women’s team, and she has set the most personal records (4) in an event this season. Her 59.54 qualifying time, which she set at the Musco Twilight on may 2, ranks 30th.

• Start time of the 400-meter hurdles (prelim): 4:30 p.m. Thursday
  • Start time of the 400-meter hurdles (semi-final): 7:30 p.m. Friday

Sophomore Marine Vallet – high jump

Vallet matched her collegiate best performance in the high jump at the Big 12 Outdoor Championship on May 17, reaching a height of 5 feet 11.25 inches. Vallet enters the NCAA West Preliminaries as the second best high jumper in ISU history, and owns the 12th best mark at regionals.

• Start time of the high jump (prelim): 6 p.m. Friday

Freshman Jhoanmy Luque – long jump and triple jump

Luque is the third true freshman Iowa State has competing at regionals, and is the only athlete competing in multiple events. Luque enters the meet with the 15th best mark in the long jump, 20 feet 3.75 inches, and the 12th best mark in the triple jump, 41 feet 8.75 inches. 

• Start time of the long jump (prelim): 6 p.m. Thursday
  • Start time of the triple jump (prelim): 6 p.m. Saturday

Senior Christina Hillman – shot put

Hillman enters the final regional competition of her ISU career after posting a season-best mark in the shot put at the Big 12 Outdoor Championship. Her mark of 57 feet 3 inches ranks fifth, making her one of two ISU athletes with a top-10 qualifying mark. 

“It was just refreshing because I haven’t hit that mark in a really long time,” Hillman said. “It’s encouraging, setting myself up for regionals and nationals.”

• Start time of the shot put (prelim): 6 p.m. Saturday 

Senior Anna Holtermann – hammer throw

Like Gonzalez, Holtermann’s season-best performance took place at the Musco Twilight, where she hurled a personal record — 195 feet 11.75 inches. Her mark ranks 30th at regionals. 

• Start time of the hammer throw (prelim): 2 p.m. Thursday