Undergraduate symposium highlights original research

Mariah Griffith

ISU students have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and the knowledge of the scientific community through original research.

Through the 10th annual Stupka Undergraduate Research Symposium, a group of ISU students will showcase the research students are currently doing, and encourage more student participation in future research.

“The Stupka symposium is the result of students, staff and faculty working together to promote scientific expression and knowledge,” said Lauran Chambers, junior in biochemistry.

The symposium is expanding to include more research from other colleges and departments every year.

“I think more undergraduates should be aware [of it],” said Kayla Arney, senior in animal science and a committee member. “Especially the ones in sciences who want to get their research out there and recognized.”

The first symposium of this type at Iowa State was slated for spring 2006, and organized by a group of six students. One of the six students was Robert Stupka III.

Stupka was an avid student who began participating in research as early as his second semester. He wanted to press upon the university the need for undergraduate research opportunities and celebrate the progress his fellow students had made with the help of their professors. In this way, Stupka was a driving force behind the creation of the undergraduate research symposium.

Unfortunately, he never got to see it. Stupka was hit by a vehicle and killed while walking to the Molecular Biology Building in November 2005. The Stupka Symposium now bears his name as a memorial. Additionally, a scholarship was created in his honor, and is awarded to students who are exceptionally involved in the community and research activities at Iowa State.

“It’s a really amazing event and it’s going to be an amazing year for it because we’re going to have so many alumni coming back,” Arney said.

She noted Rob Stupka’s alumni fellow committee members and his parents were all planning on attending the symposium this year.

“I think it’s really important to encourage undergraduate students who come, especially if they’re in honors,” said Flora Yen, committee member and senior in biochemistry. “This will be good shadowing experience for them since we do this as a competition and the professors take this seriously.”

This year’s 10th anniversary symposium is open to all students who register to attend and will include two days of interactions with alumni and professionals, presentations by keynote speakers Gloria Culver and John Chaput, poster presentations by students and staff, speeches by ISU President Steven Leath and Provost Jonathan Wickert, and meals through lunch on Saturday.

“It’s one of those things that everyone is really passionate about,” Arney said. “You get involved and you love it … and that it’s in memory of Rob is just amazing.”

Any student can register to attend the free events, particularly meals, and can do so through stupka.las.iastate.edu.