‘Running Man’ tournament helps school in Senegal, Africa

Teams ready themselves for one of many challenges at the ISC Running Man. The variety show took place in Carver Hall, with 11 teams competing against one another. All funds raised by Running Man were donated to Kawsara Fall School in Senegal, Africa.

Lindsay Greifzu

Carver Hall was filled with fun and competitive spirits Saturday afternoon for the International Student Council’s Running Man event.

“Running Man” is a popular, long-running South Korean television show where players take part in “missions” and aim to become the winners at the end of the race. Missions can include anything from cooking a dish to finding a golden key.

This is the second year the International Student Council has hosted a Running Man tournament. Teams of five competed in three rounds and games lasted 15 minutes. Each game was located in a different room in Carver. In the final round, the top two teams competed in a Nerf war in order to be dubbed the Running Man Olympics champions. 

Some of the other games included trivia, speed drawing, a balloon stomp and charades. Students of all cultures came together to enjoy the event.

Registration was $3 per person, and all proceeds will go to Kawsara Fall Middle School in Senegal, Africa. International Student Council Member Zaynab Diallo is from Senegal and keeps in touch with the people who work at the school.

“It’s in a really impoverished part of the city and they don’t have any of the basic amenities that we here in the states have. They don’t have anything like chairs, tables or book bags,” said Neil Gerstein, member of ISC’s Humanitarian Awareness Committee.

Zaynab came up with the idea to raise money for the school and all the money made from ISC’s events is put toward helping Kawsara Fall get the important items vital for a good learning environment. She is returning to Senegal this summer to deliver the money to the school in person.

The event is one of many the International Student Council has raised funds for throughout the year.

“All of the proceeds from all of our events go to the school. Some of our other fundraising events were a dance night that we held last semester as well as a soccer tournament,” Zaynab said.

Raising money for a good cause while having a great time is something the International Student Council does well.