Volunteers have opportunity to help spring clean Campustown

Audra Kincart

Student groups, clubs and volunteers can help with spring cleaning in Campustown if they sign up for Stash the Trash.

The 2015 Stash the Trash event will take place April 18 and provides opportunities for businesses to get help with washing windows, taking the trash out and other projects.

Stash the Trash is a larger version of Make Campustown Shine, which has been happening monthly for three years. With Stash the Trash, local businesses get involved with cleaning up their businesses after Iowa’s harsh winters.

The deadline for signing up is Wednesday and students can go to the Volunteer Center of Story County’s website to register themselves or their club. 

“It will involve very glamorous things such as cigarette butt pickup [and] scrubbing down the garbage cans. We’re working with businesses and if we have enough volunteers maybe we will help with window cleaning as well,” said Kim Hanna, director of Campustown Action Association.

Stash the Trash is ranging everywhere from the South Campus Area Neighborhood to College Creek, which runs through Campustown and the neighborhood west of the Campustown area.

Volunteers can also expect to do work in business parking lots and other spaces.

Six businesses and several clubs attend the event, including ISU Conservation Club, Theta Delta Chi Fraternity and other individuals to work on businesses such as Fighting Burrito, Battle’s Barbeque and Dogtown.

Stash the Trash was a city of Ames initiative that started 14 years ago and took place on the same day as Veishea service day.

This year, the event is separated into two areas.

If students wish to help participate outside the Campustown area, they can visit the Volunteer Center of Story County to volunteer at other Ames businesses and areas.

“The Volunteer Center is partnering with Ames repair and care. It’s for people who need help around their home,” said Kevin Merrill, coordinator of service and leadership programs for the Student Activities Center. 

However, CyServe Council is extending this by providing the opportunity to do more extensive work for non-profit agencies such as sort food for the food pantry, pick up trash at city parks, help Goodwill sort donations and paint non-profit agencies, Merrill said.

Volunteers can expect a free breakfast and lunch at Reiman Gardens. The Campustown Stash the Trash lasts from 9 a.m. to noon and the Ames community Stash the Trash event starts at 9 a.m. and lasts until 2 p.m.

“Particularly in Campustown, we like getting students as volunteers. It’s a good way for them to experience the whole district and help make their district a better place. Campustown is a student-business district after all,” Hanna said.