Fashion Statement: More than 250 garments entered into competition, senior wins ‘Best in Show’

Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Lauren Pearson’s line, Oksana, takes home the “Best in Show” award for the 2015 Fashion Show on April 11.

Emma Kuntz

From a heaven-like first half to a tossed around second, the ISU Fashion Show truly represented its theme, “The Calm Before the Storm.” Exhibited through both the atmosphere and garments as they strutted down the runway, this year’s show took the audience for a ride.

The 33rd annual fashion show took place at 7 p.m. Saturday at Stephens Auditorium. Committee members, students, faculty, friends and family were in attendance for the event. The auditorium was almost filled to capacity as the student designers showcased garments, accessories and illustrations.

Students from all majors could submit garments to be judged and included in this year’s fashion show. Garments were judged by four prominent members of the fashion industry during the weekend of March 27. More than 250 garments were submitted for judgment and about 200 garments were selected to walk down the runway. Graduating seniors submitted senior lines of more than three garments as one of their final projects before graduation. At the end of the show, designers received awards in categories such as accessories, illustrations and wearable art.

This year, a new scholarship was awarded to a merchandising student in addition to the Ruth Glock Internship Scholarship with Todd Snyder New York, which is given to a design student each year. Travis Cannon, senior in industrial design, was the recipient of the Ruth Glock Internship Scholarship and will have the opportunity to work directly with Todd Snyder this summer.

The new scholarship, specifically tailored to merchandising students, was sponsored by Laura and Russ Talbot, who are supporters of the ISU Fashion Show. Rebecca Storm, junior in apparel, merchandising and design, was the winner of the inaugural scholarship.

“I am honored to be the recipient of the first annual Lora and Russ Talbot merchandising scholarship,” Storm said. “This year, Lora and Russ Talbot Merchandising Scholarship was created for merchandisers to construct a case study for The West Cyde Boutique. The award received from winning is $400, as well as having the opportunity to work directly with West Cyde Boutique to develop and implement ideas created from the case study application.”

One of the most highly sought after awards year after year is the coveted “Best in Show.” The award is handed out to a deserving designer who the judges believe showcased technical skill and creativity in a specific garment or group of garments. This year’s “Best in Show” winner was Lauren Pearson for her line “Oksana,” inspired by Russian nesting dolls.

Pearson, senior in apparel, merchandising and design, originally entered her senior line at the end of the fall 2014 semester.

“The collection that you saw today was not what I tuned in last semester for my senior line,” Pearson said. “I did not like what I did for my original one, the only thing that stayed was that floral sweater. Everything else I did was done in the last four weeks.”

Pearson completed six individual garments in addition to the rust colored, knit floral sweater. The chunky crewneck was knitted entirely by hand and the garment Pearson said was her favorite of all entries she submitted. Pearson said she feels her line represents herself as a designer more accurately than her original senior line entry.

“It’s basically just a showcase of what I think are my strongest skills,” Pearson said of her winning line. “So I’m a hand-knitter and I wanted to do something that highlighted that.”

Pearson has been knitting for three years. She decided to take up knitting on her own.

“My mom’s friend taught me the two basic stitches and then I YouTubed everything else,” Pearson said.

Pearson purchases her materials like yarn and fabric from online vendors and local shops.

“I used a lot of rayon’s, like a lot of natural, soft fabrics,” Pearson said. “(The fabrics) have a nice drape to them, so they can kind of be flowy and flirty with the knits.”

The combination of fabrics gave Pearson’s winning line a unique touch that could translate well to everyday wear.

Anna Snyder, senior in horticulture, was one the models to walk in Pearson’s collection. The dusty blue, halter dress fit loosely and flowed as Snyder graced the runway.

“I was so proud of [Pearson],” Snyder said. “I wore one of her outfits last year and they are always impeccably made. She puts a lot of time and detail into them, you can just tell they are really well done and everyone is just in awe over them.”

As far as Pearson giving direction on how to represent her collection on the runway, she encouraged them to be natural and let the garments speak for themselves.

“She was pretty relaxed about it all she just wanted, you know, it to look good and be presented well,” Snyder said. “It could have been on anyone and probably would look amazing.”

Pearson’s winning line was the final collection to walk the runway. The line left a lasting impression on the audience, just as it did for the judges two weeks prior. Still in shock of her success, Pearson has already made post graduation plans. Pearson has a full-time position will Raygun in Des Moines.

“I think one day it would be really amazing to have my own business,” Pearson said. “But I don’t know if I want it to be in making clothing or selling fabrics or yarn, or something like that and just make things on the side for clients.”