Students provide affordable, hand-made gifts

Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

The College of Design spring art sale features students’ artwork from the integrated studio arts program in the atrium of the College of Design. Some of the proceeds go directly to the artists, while the rest goes to art clubs on campus.

Zane Satre

As a college student, it can be tough to afford beautiful decorations and sophisticated works of art. Summer occasions like graduations and weddings bring the stress of finding meaningful, but affordable gifts to give.

The College of Design Art Club hopes to provide a solution for those cash-strapped individuals.

The club is holding its annual spring sale this week, showcasing the artwork made by students during the last school year.

Taking place in the College of Design’s main foyer, the sale features a wide variety of art for purchase. The selection of pottery includes everything from vases, pots, bowls and plates to cups, mugs and unique sculptures. There is also a wide range of colorful prints, canvasses and photography.

Caroline Freese, senior in integrated studio arts and president of the club, said the sale benefits everyone.

“In ceramics it’s kind of a process of learning by doing, so we [make] a lot of stuff and then we glaze it, and the learning happens after it’s fired,” Freese said. “Instead of just wasting the materials, it’s a good way to sell it to people for a pretty low price.”

The artwork showcases all aspects of the learning process students go through, Freese said.

“[The art] is either for a specific assignment, practicing outside of class or just your own project,” Freese said. “Then it kind of builds and grows, and eventually we get better and better, so your first stuff you don’t necessarily want to keep anymore.”

Most of the sale’s items were created by 15 students working in either ceramics, photography, printing and wood-working. The pieces range in price from $5 to $50.

Freese said the profits go toward funding for the art club and to the students themselves, who must pay for a lot of their own supplies.

“Seventy-eight percent of the money goes back to the students who made [the art], and the rest goes to the art club,” Freese said. “We have guest artists during the year who come in to do demonstrations and stuff, so the money that we make from this sale for art club goes to funding for that.”

The club plans to have different items available each day, so customers can come back multiple times for more.

Freese has several ceramic pieces of her own in the sale, as well as many more that she’s saving.

“I’ve actually sold one of them, which is awesome,” Freese said. “But I also have a stash that I didn’t bring up here because I’m going to give them to my mom for Mother’s Day and my brother for his birthday.”