Cyclone Hockey’s impact freshmen

Brian Mozey/Iowa State Daily

Freshman forward Zack Johnson looks for an open teammate as a Colorado State defender prepares to hit him during ISU’s matchup on Nov. 22. ISU defeated Colorado State with a final score of 5-2.

Luke Manderfeld

The Cyclones graduating nine seniors following the end of the 2014-15 season, leaving questions as to whom can take hold of the reigns of the team.

Here is a list of three freshmen who could take that role.

Zack Johnson, forward: Johnson scored 13 goals and tallied eight assists on his way to an exceptional rookie campaign. He lost the last month of his season due to an upper-body injury against Central Oklahoma but still managed to finish among the team leaders in multiple offensive categories.

Jake Uglem, defenseman: Uglem was named to the Central States Collegiate Hockey League all-freshman team on Saturday, much to the enjoyment of head coach Jason Fairman. Uglem had five goals and six assists, which added up to third among defensemen on the team.

Kody Reuter, defenseman: Reuter, another freshman defenseman, was one of the “big boys” on the ice for the Cyclones this season. He didn’t notch a goal but had seven assists and cemented his “bruiser” stature by racking up 32 penalty minutes, which was tied for second on the team.