Parking fees, requested property from ISU among topics to be discussed by regents

Danielle Ferguson

The Iowa Board of Regents will consider approving an ISU request to purchase a five-acre plot of land for further expansion of the ISU Research Park, a new program in Early Childhood Education and next fiscal year’s parking and housing rates at Wednesday’s meeting in Iowa City.

The meeting will be live streamed on the regents’ website, with open session beginning at approximately 12:45 p.m.

Property Purchase

The $1.4 million plot of land, which was previously a John Deere implement dealership, meets a series of university needs, which includes the support and growth of the ISU Research Park, according to the regent agenda item.

The board approved an expanded lease to Harrisvaccines Inc., which now occupies half of the University Central Stores facility. The university, according to the agenda item, wants to cooperate in the firm’s growth.

This facility could also provide additional storage space for ISU Theatre props and costumes. Another option for the area could be the use of paved parking on site for seasonal rental vehicles, possibly freeing up parking slots on campus.

Early Childcare Education Program

A proposed new early childcare education program would train professionals to work as teachers and administrators in child care programs, but will not provide licensure in public schools.

The program, according to the docket item, will target people who move around often, such as military personnel and whom are interested in working with children and families who might also move around frequently.

The program will be entirely online, as part of the Great Plains InteractiveDistance Education Alliance, which includes seven universities: Iowa State University, Michigan State University, University of Missouri, University of Nebraska, Oklahoma State University, South Dakota State University and Texas Tech University.

“Participating universities will collaborate to share teaching responsibilities equitably. Students will take courses from instructors at all seven institutions,” according to the agenda item.

Creating the proposed program would begin upon regent approval and planned to be included for enrollment in fall 2015.

Parking rates

Parking passes for the 2015-2016 academic school year could increase by $3 to $6, depending on the spot’s location.

Prices for Schilletter and University Villages, student commuter lot and residence hall parking prices would increase from $137 to $143. Stadium parking would increase from $93 to $103 and motorcycle slots would increase from $53 to $56.

Iowa State’s Parking Division oversees 19,511 parking spots.

Housing rates

Iowa State room and board rates are proposed to increase by an average of 3.07 percent, based on the most common double room with a Gold meal plan. The Department of Residence started the fall 2014 semester housing 12, 237 students, almost 1,000 more than the previous year. Requests to live on campus exceeded the capacity by almost 2,000.

The 2016 fiscal year budget is based on an estimate of 12,774 beds, an increase of 537 from this year.

Residence hall rates would increase, depending on commodities and location, by $112 to $116.

Student apartments could increase in pay from anywhere between the range $93 to $196.