Best study abroad destinations for ISU students

Dustin Edle

They say that college is the best — and often only — chance you get to study abroad. If you’ve been itching to get overseas, Iowa State has several budget-friendly trips open to all majors. Consider one of the following destinations from Iowa State’s most popular and reasonably priced programs.

Italy

Italy is one of the best study abroad locations not only because of the rich history. The tuition fees and cost of living are relatively low as well.  Iowa State offers a semester abroad in Italy for around $11,000. If you can’t swing 11 large, elderly couples in Italy have been known to “adopt” exchange students who can’t support themselves in exchange for housework and extra company.

New Zealand

New Zealand is a beautiful country and is especially appealing to adventurous types and lovers of the outdoors. Iowa State offers two different programs in NZ, ranging from $11K to $12K. NZ is pretty much the safer version of Australia, so in case you aren’t a fan of man-eating snakes or spiders, this might be a smarter option. However, Iowa State’s Australia study program is only around $8k, which might have something to do with the aforementioned man-eating creatures.

Greece

Another program that only costs around $8,000, Greece is home to so many education opportunities and beautiful culture that it’s really a steal at that price. Greece is considered a gateway between Eastern and Western culture, so it might be the perfect trip for beginner travelers.

Costa Rica

Costa Rica is another popular destination and it’s not unreasonable to pay about $10,000 for the trip via Iowa State. The biggest draw to students is the rainforest, where they learn about wildlife and get the chance to hike in a tropical setting. Interesting fact about Costa Rica — all military services were disbanded in 1949 and funding instead goes to education, health and social services.

In case one of these destinations didn’t appeal to you or your wallet, consider one of the popular summer options Iowa State has to offer, such as Ireland, Italy or London. Happy traveling!