Cyclone Hockey pulls off upset to move into quarterfinals


Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Cyclone Hockey team members embrace after scoring a goal during the match against Midland University on Feb. 28, which resulted in a 13-0 win for the Cyclones.

Luke Manderfeld

Cyclone Hockey pulled off the first upset in the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament, beating the Oklahoma Sooners 3-1 Saturday to move into the quarterfinals.

Joseph DeLuca scored two goals to lead the Cyclone offense. He had just three goals in the regular season.

The No. 10 Cyclones (24-13-6) and No. 7 Sooners (25-9) played an even-enough game through the first 10 minutes of the first period that neither team was able to register 10-plus shots. A short time later, the Cyclones turned the tides after spending a few minutes in the offensive zone. 

That momentum carried the team with five minutes left in the period and led to an Andrew Carlson goal courtesy of an Alex Stephens centering pass.

Cyclone goaltender Matt Cooper faced a flurry of shots at the end of the opening period but was up to the challenge and his team took a 1-0 lead into the intermission, out-shooting the Sooners 14-10.

The first three minutes of the second period saw a ramp in action. The Cyclones fired the opening salvo in the period after DeLuca scored on a 2-on-1 opportunity with Seth Serhienko.

Oklahoma fired back only 1:20 later. Cory Ramsey jumped in on an offensive rush and received a drop-back pass that he finished to bring his team within one. 

The Sooners continued the momentum, putting the next two shots on net but an Oklahoma penalty from Kale Erickson shut it down. The teams traded blows for the rest of the second period but the Cyclones had the 2-1 advantage on the scoreboard heading into the third period. 

Oklahoma grabbed hold of the game early in the third period, firing three shots on net but Cooper stopped all three. 

Once the 10-minute mark passed, the Sooners had a few near-misses that would have equalized the game. The Cyclones looked on the ropes as the Sooners kept up the heavy pressure with the clock slowly winding down. 

Cyclone Hockey head coach Jason Fairman was forced to take a timeout to slow Oklahoma’s offensive momentum with just under three minutes to play in the game. 

Following a Cyclone icing, the Sooners called their timeout to try and knot the game up. DeLuca would have none of that, though, as he picked up a loose puck at center ice and scored the empty-net goal.

Cyclone Hockey continues its tournament run against the No. 2 Central Oklahoma Bronchos in the quarterfinals at 12 p.m. March 8 at John Carroll University.