Editorial: GSB must adjust voting schedules

Daniel Breitbarth speaks to his supporters after it is announced that he will serve as the Government of the Student Body president during the 2015-16 school year.

Raise your hand if you were anticipating the release of the Government of the Student Body elections at 7 p.m. Friday? One hand? Maybe two? Bueller? Anybody? That’s what we thought.

This year, the schedule for GSB elections went something to the tune of voting Tuesday and Wednesday, a 24-hour period for any protesting of election results, then the official release of results at 7 p.m. Friday. At the beginning of each year, GSB decides what the election schedule will look like. So, in the fall, the current Election Commission and Senate provided and approved, in accordance to GSB bylaws, an election schedule that fostered a lack of inclusion for students on campus.

Thinking it would be beneficial to the students to release election results on a Friday night was a complete disregard of knowledge to know a majority of the student body would not be closely following along with what was happening. Obviously members of GSB, potential candidates for next year and a handful of other students awaited the results Friday night. However, when only 12.8 percent of students voted, serving the entire student body should be the goal when releasing results.

To an extent, students do need to be more involved with what is happening in their student government. After all, it is their money GSB is handling and allocating and students need to be more in tune to that. And the 12.8 percent increase is proof GSB is heading in the right direction in terms of spreading awareness. But it’s hard to hand the students the apple of opportunity to be involved with one of the biggest GSB events of the year and ask them to make lemonade.

In the future, it would be beneficial to the students GSB serves to have voting commence Monday and Tuesday, a protesting period Thursday and then the release of results on a Thursday night, giving ample opportunities Friday for meet and greets, speeches and other opportunities to get students involved immediately after the results.

On the docket this year was the approval to change GSB’s name to just Student Government in efforts to make the government more appealing to students and to help them be more involved in the ISU community. While the move was a step in the right direction, make sure to carefully consider changing the bylaws to allow students to be directly engaged through social media, and other means, with the 2016 Student Government elections.

If you’re going to ask students to make lemonade, give them some lemons to work with.