ISU track and cross-country runner shares favorite event

Ryan Young/Iowa State Daily

From left, redshirt sophomores Taylor McDowell, Julie Wiemerslage and Heidi Engelhardt run toward the finish line at the Bulldog 4K Classic in Des Moines on Aug. 30. 

Kyle Heim

Sophomore Heidi Engelhardt arrived at Iowa State less than two years ago and has already begun to tally numerous accomplishments.

As a freshman, Engelhardt recorded the seventh best time in school history in the 3000-meter steeplechase during the outdoor season.

Less than a year later, Engelhardt competed for the ISU cross-country team during its runner-up finish at the NCAA Championships on Nov. 22.

And just a month into the current indoor season, Engelhardt has already recorded personal best times in three different events.

As she has seen improvements in a number of different events, Engelhardt’s favorite event may be the one she ran at the cross-country championship.

“I really have always liked the middle distance stuff, kind of more like the mile, but after cross country, I kind of fell in love with the 6K,” Engelhardt said.

Click here to read about Engelhardt’s journey to Iowa State, her determination to stay a part of the team and the improvements she has made as a Cyclone.