Group projects develop problem-solving, teamwork skills

Rachel Geronimo

College is a lifetime experience for most individuals in their educational years. Students are able to gain key skills that can develop their professional career. Group projects in college can be stressful, but it’s one of the most essential skills that individuals experience in school.

According to cmu.edu, group projects can help students develop a host of skills that are increasingly important in the professional world.

Andrew Standley, junior in sociology, shared his belief on the benefits of gaining teamwork experience in college group projects.

“Outside of college and in almost any job, you’re going to be working with people,” Standley said. “You’re going to be collaborating, so if you can work with a group, then it’s a very important skill everyone should have, just as important as everyone should know how to work individually.”

Standley emphasized that knowing roles in the group project is an essential tool to have.

“Make sure that you know what your role is in the group and what is expected of you,” Standley said. “Make sure that everyone else knows what is expected of them and set those goals out as early as possible for any of the projects.”

Brenda Ackerman, lecturer in apparel, events and hospitality management, shared her thoughts on how working with a team will benefit a student in their future career.

“Interaction and networking are two main aspects,” Ackerman said. “You learn to develop your social skills, your communications and your practice in industry terminology.”

Ackerman shared that group projects will create diversity among working skills.

“Being a contributor is key,” Ackerman said. “You want to be able to give a 100 percent because your group is going to have a goal and it’s your contribution that’s going to help meet that goal.”

Emily Cowles, sophomore in public relations, believes that students should know the people in their group to develop a professional friendship.

“This is so that you’re able to get along with them, otherwise at the end when they do the peer evaluations it’s awkward when they don’t like you,” Cowles said.

When dealing with challenging situations, Cowles suggested that individuals should try to talk with their group.

“I try to talk with my group about it,” Cowles said. “Try to work out a better plan with your group if there are conflicts to work out.”

Although stressful, participating in group projects is such a key aspect to consider in college. Students need to keep a mental mind that it will help develop their professional skills in future careers.