ISU fashion show chooses guest designer

Erin Dungan

As assistant producers for this year’s annual Iowa State Fashion Show, seniors Delaney Eilts and Lauryn Stromberg, hold the role of securing a guest designer. With the help of Dr. Eulanda Sanders, Eilts and Stromberg chose guest designer Mon Atelier, founded by Ali Rahimi. 

“We took a look into the vast work and achievements of Mon Atelier, and quickly realized that their extraordinary craftsmanship represented within their amazing garments would suit The Fashion Show 2015 perfectly,” Eilts said.

Mon Atelier’s one-of-a-kind gowns have been seen frequently on the red carpet on celebrities like Kathy Lee Griffin, Reese Witherspoon and the Jackson family. In addition, Rahimi’s designs have been highlighted on popular TV shows like “Glee” and “America’s Got Talent.”

Eilts said that the audience can expect Mon Atelier to be showing a variety of garments ranging from evening wear, cocktail dresses, bridal and couture. 

“Mon Atelier’s garments will create a lush statement on The Fashion Show 2015’s runway, lending the audience with a bold viewing experience. We are confident that the couture garments shown on the runway this year will be a huge and drastic change from anything The Fashion Show’s runway has seen in the past,” Stromberg said.

In addition to their custom gowns, Mon Atelier also designs intricate accessories for both men and women, along with tuxedos and other mens apparel.

Stromberg had the opportunity to meet with Rahimi and his business partner, John Barle, in their studio in Los Angeles. Having the privilege to create a personal relationship with the guest designers before the fashion show is rare.

Rahimi and Barle will be speaking to numerous classes in the apparel, merchandising and design program to share their experiences and knowledge with students. 

“One of the most unique and interesting aspects that sets Mon Atelier apart from other designers in today’s fashion industry is their utmost support and excitement to educate the students at Iowa State University,” Eilts said. “From the get-go, their main priority and concern was to reach as many students as possible here on campus, and within the community.” 

This year’s 33rd annual fashion show will take place at 7 p.m. April 11 at Stephens Auditorium. Tickets go on sale March 2.