History of Marston Hall

Matthew Rezab

Marston Hall, completed in 1903, was originally named Engineering Hall. It was built to house the College of Engineering, the Physics Department and the State Highway Commission.

In 1947, Engineering Hall was renamed to honor Anson Marston, a world-renowned engineer who in 1897 was responsible for the design and construction of the first free-standing water tower west of the Mississippi, an engineering marvel that still stands today, less than 100 feet from Marston Hall.

Anson Marston joined the Iowa State faculty in 1892 and served as dean of engineering from 1904 until 1932, during which time Iowa State established a reputation as one of the best engineering schools in the world, a reputation that endures today.

The building began a $24 million renovation in July 2014. The project is slated to be completed in the spring of 2015.

Information courtesy of iastate.edu.

Click here to read about the artifacts discovered during the renovation.