FLUnked: University encourages sick to stay home despite classroom consequences

Makayla Tendall

Central Iowa has been declared the third “sickest” region in the country by WebMD, and Iowa State is not immune.

Not only has the H3N2 strain of the flu has caused a spike in tissue and ibuprofen sales, it has the potential to lower class attendance in the first week of the semester, a concern the university administration is taking seriously.

The Provost’s office has issued a statement to university faculty and staff asking them to “work with your students who are reporting illness symptoms and encourage them to stay at home.”

David Holger, associate provost for academic programs, said similar statements have been announced in the past for the influenza, and they seemed to reduce the spread of the virus.

“It turns out the best thing you can do to slow down the spread of this, if faculty or staff or students are sick, is if they stay home,” Holger said. “The reason for getting it out right now is because we don’t want faculty members, in particular, creating an environment where it feels to students like if I’m sick, I’ve got to go to class.”

Kevin Schalinske, Faculty Senate president and professor in food science, said he is mindful of students’ needs and has also seen faculty be receptive to changes in attendance policy during flu season.

“I’d like to think if [the statement] came from the Provost’s office, faculty would pay attention,” Schalinske said.

However, Schalinske said those attendance policies are in place for a reason.

There are many classes that have strict attendance policies because it is the best way for students to learn the material, he said. Students in hands-on classes such as labs or world languages that are not lecture-based will quickly fall behind if they do not attend class, Schalinske said.

“I think faculty are well-intentioned, saying if you want to do well in this class, you have to attend,” Holger said. “Faculty members always have the flexibility to relax those policies if they want to. Occasionally, a situation will arise where there’s an appeal. We’ve typically been able to resolve those.”

Ryan Peterson, graduate in political science, said he woke up Jan. 9 feeling sick. He said he’d like listen to the university administration and stay home, but has to see what professors say first.

“It would depend on the class and the professor,” Peterson said. “In political science, most professors I know, if you send them an email, they’re pretty flexible about it. They don’t want you there if you’re sick and they’re not going to count it against you.

Holger said communication between instructors and students is key during this time of year, so it doesn’t seem to instructors that students are skipping intentionally.

That communication is even more important since instructors are not allowed to ask for a doctor’s note and Thielen Student Health Center is not handing them out.

Dr. Cosette Scallon, staff physician at the Student Health Center, said if they provided doctor’s notes the center would be inundated with students who are not sick anymore, but want a note to excuse their absences. 

“We’re actually seeing people after the fact that want a note,” Scallon said. “We need to be seeing people who are actually sick. If a person is sick, the best thing is to stay home and we’re not going to do anything different, then they don’t want to drag themselves in here anyway just to be told to stay home and drink fluids.”

Scallon said that although WebMD ranked Ames and Des Moines as the third sickest cities across the nation, she does not think this flu season is any more harmful than other seasons.

“Some years are better and some years are not. There are about 20,000-30,000 deaths from the flu a year. It’s got more publicity. Everyone’s freaking out about it,” Scallon said, who also said she and other Health Center staff members have already had the flu.

Though there have been three flu-related deaths in Iowa this flu season, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said estimating the actual deaths caused by the flu is difficult.

Scallon said the best ways to combat the spread of the flu have not changed, and the Provost’s office worked with the Health Center to create a list of tips:

• Wash hands frequently or use alcohol-based hand sanitizers

• Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, mouth

• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces

• Avoid close contact with persons who are ill with flu symptoms

• Cover cough and sneezes into your sleeve/elbow and/or use a tissue, and wash your hands immediately afterward. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately.

• Bolster your immune system by getting plenty of sleep, eating a healthy balanced diet, drinking increased fluids and decreasing stress levels.

Students can also receive a flu shot at the Health Center.

Students should still come in to get their flu shot, Scallon said. The reason H3N2 strain is not being combatted as well by the flu shot is because 50 percent of the strain mutated, which Scallon said is what happens when the virus travels the globe normally. The shot can still protect against many other strains and can shorten the duration of the flu.

However, Scallon said it is difficult to get to faculty and staff to take seriously the advice that “if they feel crummy, stay home.”

“What are the magic words that we say to them? A lot of times, it seems like it has to be a live and learn deal. Sometimes they have to find out for themselves,” Scallon said.

If you have the real influenza, you’re going to know it, Scallon said. Those who have had the virus know how much they wish the infected would have stayed out of contact with them, and they will hopefully stay home while they are infected.

“Influenza really puts you out of commission for a week and a half. You feel like a truck ran over you,” Scallon said. “Hopefully, they understand if you have a busy schedule and a lot of classes to study for and you don’t want to get way behind, it’s a very wise idea to take care of yourself.”

It is important for students to realize that a trip to the doctor is not going to help them for a virus, Scallon said. Medicine is only given to those with immune deficiencies, such as the elderly, young children and those with pre-existing health complications.

“We don’t want there to be resistance, so the less we give out is actually better. Young healthy people can fight it off. There are many on campus who do have a situation where they should get anti-virals, but the majority don’t need it,” Scallon said.

Danielle Ferguson contributed to this story.