Students win $5000 each in ag competition

Matthew Rezab

Iowa State has announced two students have been awarded $5,000 cash each for winning the Agriculture Business Plan Competition.

Alejandra Feliciano, graduate assistant in horticulture, won for her project “The Zealous Thumb” and Peter Lamair, senior in agriculture studies, was awarded for his “HydroMax” project.

A panel of industry entrepreneurs and capital investors determined the winners. The program was developed by Iowa State University’s Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative and sponsored by Stine Seed Company and Summit Group.

According to the press release, the Agricultural Business Plan Competition provided students a platform to develop and share their agriculture related entrepreneurial business ideas. It also allowed participants the opportunity to learn written and oral presentation skills, build their entrepreneurial network and create feasible businesses.

The Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative at Iowa State University was established in 2005. The initiative works to broaden understanding of entrepreneurship among faculty and students of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State.

Students from 15 universities entered the competition and a total of three $5,000 prizes were awarded. The third prize went to a team of students from Colorado State University.