Freestone: Why art is still important

Bailey Freestone

Iowa State University is the home to one of the largest collections of public works of art, but it seems that not many people in the community recognize this.

No one seems to pay much attention as they walk by at least five pieces of remarkable art on their way to their classes.

Our art collection here at Iowa State deserves more recognition than that. Students should stop and take a second to appreciate what has been put on display for them to view and enjoy.

Iowa State University Museums tries their best to accomplish this goal and teach ISU students about the art that inhabits their campus. University Museums hosts monthly art walks with hopes of educating and reaching out to Ames and the ISU community.

Each month, the art walk focuses on a certain piece or grouping of artwork that can be found on the ISU campus.

Each art walk is 30 minutes to an hour long. Normally, University Museums will send a specialist to speak to the group about the history of the artwork and why it is found here at Iowa State. After the specialist speaks, there is a brief question-and-answer session that is open to anyone.

These art walks may not sound too exciting, but it is truly amazing what you can learn about the campus from a single piece of art.

An art walk is usually comprised of about 15 to 20 people. 

I recommend that anyone and everyone take an hour out of their day to attend at least one of these events. Visit the University Museums website at www.museums.iastate.edu to find out when upcoming art walks will be held.