Accessorize during Iowa’s harsh winter

Beanies are a great winter accessory to keep ears warm.

Miranda Pollitt

Winter is quickly approaching which means cold weather, heavy snow and slippery ice. During the colder months, it’s a must to bundle up and stay warm. Hats, gloves and scarves are essential for walking around campus on a cold day.

Spice up your cold-weather accessories with these trends this winter.

For ladies, rhinestones and bling are a major trend for the holidays. Whether it is a rhinestone hat or a scarf covered in sequins, sparkle pieces add the perfect touch to any holiday ensemble. 

Another popular trend for women is oversized scarves. There is nothing better than bundling up with a blanket, and oversized scarves give the same feeling. Knitted, printed or woven, these scarves are a major statement piece to have in the closet. 

Ponchos, wraps and capes are also making a come back this season. These items can be found for a wide variety of prices at places like Forever 21, Target and Zara. There are endless options where you can find a great cape or poncho. A cape or a poncho is a great piece to throw on over a layered look. 

Head wraps are also a major winter accessory for women. Head wraps come in a wide variety of styles, colors and patterns and are ideal for throwing on for the walk to class.

For guys, beanies are a great winter accessory to keep ears warm. Whether it’s a solid color or patterned, these are great for not only the cold but for added interest to one’s outfit.

Scarves for men are also a major trend this season. Guys, don’t be afraid to rock a great scarf. Not only will it keep you warm, but it will complete the winter ensemble.

A winter accessory must-have for both men and women would be touch-screen gloves. As students we are constantly walking across campus. Once it gets cold, gloves are a necessity. With touch-screen gloves, students can still use their smartphone, while their hands stay warm and cozy.