Ames’ Youth & Shelter Services provides holiday cheer for those in need

Courtesy of Christine DeCoudreaux

Kiran Sharma, sophomore in kinesiology and health at Iowa State, and her mother, Jean Sharma, are among the first to deliver a donation of winter hats and scarves made by students in the Freshman Honors Program at Iowa State University to Youth and Shelter Services. The ISU Greek Community and the ISU Optimist have teamed up with the Youth and Shelter Services as well to help with the holiday drives. Both organizations have placed boxes at different locations around campus to collect new winter items, toiletries and other basic necessities.

Sarah Muller

As the holiday season approaches, many will be looking forward to toys or treats under their trees or in their stockings. However, some families aren’t sure if they’ll receive any gifts at all.

For many years, Ames Youth & Shelter Services has been setting up donors to provide gifts to the approximately 220 families in their system.

“Some of these people need a little help during the holidays to provide gifts for their families,” said Julie Fontanini, community resources coordinator. “For some of them it’s the only gift that their family will be receiving.”

The family in need creates a list of what they want or need. Some people may request gifts ranging from cleaning supplies to clothes to sports gear.

“I think [the need] has grown,” said Roberta Milinsky, associate CEO. “As our programs grow, the number of people we are hoping to help grows.” 

Donors then decide who they would like to support, whether it is a family, a single person or multiple families. Donors receive the age, gender and wish list of the individuals receiving gifts.

Milinsky said different groups, businesses and families from the community step forth to participate. Some donors make it a tradition to help every year.

“It’s just been amazing to see all this generosity from these sponsors that are donating all these gifts to all these families to brighten their holidays,” Fontanini said. “The families receiving these are going to be so touched and appreciative of these gifts.”

Gifts are given to the organization by Dec. 15 where a staff member who works with the family will wrap the gift and give it to the family in need. While the family remains anonymous, the donor has the option of putting their name on the gift.

“We are able to assist the real need that families have, so we are able to fulfill the generosity that people feel this time of year when they contact us,” Milinsky said.

However, Youth & Shelter Services assists families all year round.

“I just really enjoy how rewarding [this job] is,” Fontanini said. “I think YSS does amazing things for our community, and I just really enjoy being a part of that.

For more information on how to get involved, contact Rosa Jennings, Youth & Shelter Services volunteer coordinator, at [email protected].