Editorial: Get your head back in the game

Now that all of the turkey has been eaten and the tryptophan naps have begun to wear off, many students are beginning to return to Ames and — all too soon — classes. Along with their return will come the stark realization that there is still work to be done this semester, work that may seem to be too much for some students.

While Fall Break has hopefully allowed us all to recharge our minds for the home stretch of the semester, remember that we are not quite home yet. Following a long and much need week away from classes, it is important for students to get right back into the swing of classes as finals week draws ever closer.

If you shut down now, you’ll regret it when those final grades are posted. Take the weekend to readjust your sleep schedule and make sure you have all upcoming assignments completed; it is easy to let homework slip your mind while you are away from classes.

Don’t let yourself stay in the break mentality. Tempting as it may be to phone in your effort until the middle of December, remember that while how you started the semester is important, what matters most is how you finish it out.

Along those same lines, getting back into the school mindset quickly will mean you have to spend less time finishing up assignments and will give you more time to devote to studying for finals. The more time you allot for that studying the better, because, according to U.S. News, cramming is a great way to earn yourself a lower grade.

Use your time wisely. Don’t sit back and relax this weekend while you could be maximizing your productivity. Finally, when all of the work becomes overwhelming, which it will for most of us, remember that the real break is just around the corner.