Editorial: Bacon Expo brings pride back to Ames

Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State’s event is the only student run Bacon Expo in the nation. Therefore, the event is proof that ISU students possess the drive and ingenuity to generate an ever-increasing amount of leadership opportunities.

Following this summer’s decision by Iowa State University administration to put an end to Veishea, students and the Ames community were forced to accept the loss of a near century-long tradition. Those most affected by loss were the student organizers whose hard work went to waste. The loss of Veishea does not, however, represent the loss of all student led events.

Events such as the weekend’s Bacon Expo gave students the opportunity to plan and hold a community wide activities. Iowa State’s event is the only student run Bacon Expo in the nation. Therefore, the event is proof that ISU students possess the drive and ingenuity to generate an ever increasing amount of leadership opportunities. Students that want to get involved with university events have the opportunity to choose from numerous organizations to meet their demands.

Perhaps even more encouraging is the fact that even if the specific desires of a group of students hoping to plan an event are not currently met, the resources and infrastructure exist to help them meet their goals. Even if there is not a club or organization that fits the mold of what a student is looking for, they have the chance to create their own group or organization at Iowa State. Currently, there are over 800 student run clubs and organizations on Iowa State’s campus.

The Student Activities Center page on the Iowa State website helps students find or start organizations that interest them, while also featuring a resources section which provides helpful tips for organizations ranging from receiving official Iowa State business cards to the creation of an organizational constitution.

Additionally, it should be noted that ISU students will not earn back Veishea by doing nothing, or worse, by holding independent or alternative forms of Veishea centered solely around the reckless behaviors which led to the cancellation of the celebration. The event will instead be earned through the hard work of the student organizers and events, such as Baconfest.

Yes, Veishea was the university’s most popular and cherished tradition. But for the time being, we’ve killed it. The response of students and even some local businesses has been to propose pseudo-Veishea events. These events will not bring the tradition back and may in fact be counterproductive. Students should instead take the time to attend and support the multitude of events that we still have the privilege of attending.

The conversation about taking Veishea-like events, the one’s that celebrated students’ achievements, has been positive from the university. The administration won’t be the one to implement a new Veishea, but students can. As students, we can take the great things about Veishea, the hard work and pride, and turn out something great.

Only by proving that the students of Iowa State are invested in the success of our campus events and by extending the success of our peers will we be able to earn back the official celebration of our favorite tradition. In showing that we value those two ideas, we will also show that we remember what Veishea was meant for, celebrating student success.