Letter: College Democrats crash the party

The day before the election, Alpha Gamma Rho and the College Republicans hosted Senator-elect Joni Ernst at the AGR house. Members of the group “Vote Mob” showed up and disrupted our event. The police eventually were called and the group left. The next day I saw the same people at the College Democrats rally for Bruce Braley.

I sincerely hope that the Democrats were not behind this and that “Vote Mob” was doing this by themselves. This behavior is embarrassing to our university. Students should have the right to host events without it being disrupted by extremists. AGR and the College Republicans worked very hard to bring Joni Ernst to campus. We have just as much of a right to have rallies to support our stances, candidates and issues as liberals on campus freely enjoy. This incident was meant to intimidate conservatives into silence. It will not work.

There is nothing wrong with stating your opposition in an appropriate way, such as writing a letter to the Daily, waiting until the event is over and politely asking the speaker your question or raising your concerns with some other authority. Iowa State students who were involved in this disturbance should be brought up on charges for violating the student code of conduct, and if the College Democrats were in any way part of this or an accessory to this disruption, their club should be suspended and a public apology to the College Republicans, AGR and Senator-elect Joni Ernst is in order. Its time to act like adults and be able to disagree in a mature and civil manner! Just like the VEISHEA rioters, the students who participated in this disruption are not being true Cyclones.

I encourage those who are Democrats to take a public stand against this childish behavior.