ISU men’s basketball hopes to start season fast in exhibition

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore forward Georges Niang goes up for a shot against Baylor in the final round of the 2014 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, Mo. The Cyclones defeated Baylor 74-65 in their first appearance in the final round since 2000. Niang had 13 points for Iowa State.

Alex Gookin

Iowa State men’s basketball is officially back — kind of.

The Cyclones will hit the hardwood for the first time since their Sweet Sixteen run in last year’s NCAA tournament, as they take on the Viterbo V-Hawks in an exhibition game on Friday, Nov. 7.

While the game won’t count toward the team’s overall record, the hype surrounding this year’s team is enough to sell more than 14,000 tickets to the game and season tickets selling out. 

With fan interest and tickets selling at a record pace, the team is taking a similar approach with the pace of the game. With Fred Hoiberg-coached teams known for their fast play, the team is stepping it up this season.

“We should be able to play with unbelievable pace,” said coach Fred Hoiberg. “Last week at practice, we took it to a whole other level, the way the guys got the ball up and down the floor.”

The Cyclones have always been quick with possessions, finishing 11th in the nation last season in possessions per game. However, with only one “secret” scrimmage against Minnesota to gauge their progress, Hoiberg isn’t convinced the team is playing at full speed yet.

“It tells you two things when you score the ball like we have been early in the season: Your offense is either really good or your transition defense really sucks,” Hoiberg said. “Right now, I think it’s a little bit of a combination of both.”

The team’s speed likely benefits from Georges Niang’s offseason body transformation in which he dropped body fat and gained muscle after breaking his foot in the NCAA tournament last season. 

Listed at an inch taller and nearly 15 pounds lighter and receiving plenty of praise in the offseason as one of the top players in the nation, Niang is ready to see if the transformation translates to improved performance on the floor.

“Getting up and down the court is a lot easier. By this time last year I felt like I was a little worn out from practices,” Niang said. “Now, I feel rejuvenated and a lot healthier.”

The Cyclones will be a bit shorthanded as sophomore Matt Thomas and redshirt junior transfer Abdel Nader sit out for violation of team rules. Much anticipated transfer Jameel McKay will not be eligible until Dec. 20 under transfer rules.

Despite not being at full strength, it gives less experienced players a chance to work themselves in the lineup. Players like freshmen Clayton Custer and Georgios Tsalmpouris, redshirt sophomore Sherron Dorsey-Walker and senior Daniel Edozie have all garnered good reviews from coaches in the offseason and will be fighting for spots on what Hoiberg hopes is a 10-person depth chart by conference play.

“It’s a great opportunity for a lot of guys,” Hoiberg said. “We’ll see how everything goes on Friday night. That’s going to be probably the hardest part of my job this year is to throw the guys out there that deserve the minutes and try to set the rotation the best way I can.”

Iowa State will host Viberto at 7 p.m. on Nov. 7 at Hilton Coliseum.