Gov. Branstad wins race, makes history

Gov. Terry Branstad speaks at at an early voting rally at Alpha Gamma Rho on Oct. 11. The Branstad-Reynolds team and other Iowa Republican candidates spoke at the event.

Danielle Ferguson

Winner of midterm 2014 gubernatorial race Gov. Terry Branstad said though Iowa is well on its way, it’s not done yet.

Branstad, who will now go into his sixth term as governor, holds the position as longest-serving governor of a state.

As of press time on Nov. 4, Branstad won by nearly 20 percent, with 575,220 votes cast for for him. Sen. Jack Hatch and Monica Vernon had 378,534. 

“Tonight we are going to make history in the great state of Iowa,” Branstad said in his address. “But tomorrow, we’ll roll up our sleeves again and we’ll get back to work because that’s the Iowa way. And what a great state we’ve got to work for and great people.”

Jonathon Laudner, ISU College Republicans president said another four years of Branstad could be beneficial for students.

“The biggest thing is clearly the Branstad-Reynolds administration has brought college kids a lot of good things,” he said. “They have been working with the state legislature, they’ve brought us two tuition freezes in a row and they are working on a third.”

ISU Dems President Zoe Kustritz said she wasn’t surprised at the results.

“We knew that was happening since like last year. We weren’t shocked at all.” Kustritz said.

State Senator Jack Hatch has been in the Iowa Senate since 2003 and before then, was a representative in the Iowa House.

“I challenge…all Iowans to move forward in a way in which we can understand that we do not need to be partisan or be separate and we have to move forward with a vision that protects our families, protects our rivers and our streams, protects our soil from washing down the Mississippi…provides education to our children,” Hatch said in his concession speech.

Both Branstad and Hatch proposed a static tuition for university students.

Branstad in 2013 signed a nine percent increase in community college funding and increased funding to the regent universities to pass the past two tuition freezes for resident students.

Hatch said he wants to make education affordable by proposing a tuition lock that would make the current tuition rate during the student’s first year stay the same until they graduate.

The 2014 Midterm Election has grown a reputation for being one of the most negative campaigns Iowa has seen.

Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds took what could have been Hatch’s website domain in July, www.HatchVernon.com, as well as a Twitter handle: @HatchVernon, to make it appear that Hatch and his running mate, Monica Vernon, were, as the website states, a “bad choice for Iowans who like jobs, low taxes and balanced budgets.”

During a debate, Hatch has accused Branstad of not wanting to raise the minimum wage and breaking promises.

“I don’t know what’s more dangerous, the promises he has kept or the promises he has broken,” Hatch said at the Oct. 14 gubernatorial debate.

Branstad thanked his family and his supporters.