University youth program policies

Danielle Ferguson

Iowa State University has three primary policies dealing with outreach programs that involve youth: Youth Activities Pre-collegiate programs and camps, Volunteers and Children in the Workplace.

Youth Activities Pre-collegiate programs and camps

A youth program is an academic, athletic or recreational activity offered to youth participants. These can include workshops, group lessons, conferences, seminars, competitions, internship programs, group experiential learning opportunities and other educational activities.

University sponsored or endorsed programs must be approved by the department chair or director and the dean or vice president for the unit/department. The dean or vice president level authority may be delegated to an individual designated to oversee youth activities and programs.

Program staff must have an approved background check prior to interaction or direct contact with youth participants.

Volunteers

A volunteer is a person who provides services for an activity that involves the humanitarian, educational or service mission of the university without the expectation of compensation or benefits in return.

A volunteer may be an ISU student, faculty or staff or a member of the community.

Volunteers involved with youth under age 18 must comply with the Youth Activities, Pre-Collegiate Programs and Camps policy and procedures.

Children in the Workplace

Children in the workplace may include opportunities such as job shadowing, facility tours or internships.

Non-student children are not to be in areas of high risk safety issues, unless it is for experiential learning, short-term visits or guided tours.

Department heads and unit directors have the authority to approve or deny the presence of non-student children in the workplace.

All information from the Office of Risk Management.

For more information on how Iowa State prepares for youth programs and minors on campus, click here