Flash mob surprises students, raises awareness for Dance Marathon

Students looked on as student representatives from Iowa State Dance Marathon, a club that hosts events and raises funds for the Children’s Miracle Network, performed a flash mob at noon on Oct. 21 inside Parks Library.

Wendy Cardwell

Dancing teal shirts and blaring music consumed Parks Library as a flash mob took ISU students by surprise.

Members of Dance Marathon danced to a number of different songs in the library on Oct. 21, performing a well-practiced choreographed routine.

The week of Oct. 20 through Oct. 24 is Miracle Week for Dance Marathon. Miracle Week is a recruitment process to spread the word, promote the Dance Marathon organization and to raise money for the University of Iowa children’s miracle network hospital.

“We have the opportunity to fund the new University of Iowa’s children’s hospital,” said Austin Javellana, senior in landscape architecture, and co-director for Dance Marathon. “The new hospital will have everything in one building, rather then moving the children to and from different buildings.”

On Jan. 24, Dance Marathon will hold the main event of the year — a 12 to 40 hour long event where students, children and families who have been helped by Dance Marathon stay on their feet through different activities such as dancing, games and other forms of entertainment.

Last year there were about 850 dancers, 200 committee members, and 100-150 family members who came together to raise $427,000. This year Dance Marathon plans to double that number.

Anna Pringnitz, fifth year in communication studies and one of the recruitment co-directors for Dance Marathon, was once treated at a Children’s Miracle Network hospital and was familiar with the cause.

“When I got to college, I heard about the event, and knew that I wanted to get involved,” Pringnitz said. “Ideally we want students to be aware of what we are doing, increase registration and encourage people to gain knowledge about the organization.”

The weeklong recruitment process involves tabling, word of mouth and communicating what a great experience Dance Marathon can be. All events are entirely student run.

Dance Marathon is one of the largest philanthropic organizations at Iowa State, as well as other colleges across the country. It is a nationwide organization not only extending to students at Iowa State — but also graduate students, faculty and alumni.

“Freshman year I signed up as a dancer, which had a really big impact on me on a personal and emotional level,” said Laura Pederson, senior in genetics. “You get so attached to the cause and the kids.”

Pederson decided to run for executive in recruitment for Dance Marathon last year so she could help reach others on campus and make connections to help the cause.

Dance Marathon will not just be promoting the cause this week, but each week will continue to be on campus publicly. They will be visiting public organizations, greek chapters and residence hall floors to spread the word to register for Dance Marathon 2015.

Each student who participates in Dance Marathon has the ability to raise up to $250 dollars.

“Dance Marathon isn’t just about dancing, or running. It is an organization that helps promote a great cause to help kids and families be involved in an awesome organization,” Pringnitz said.