Kim: International scholars gain from church

Seungwon Kim

I have noticed that many international students remain wary of creating social opportunities in churches because they have an image of Christians that paints them as biased and close-minded to others who have different religious beliefs.

However, from what I have experienced, most Christians in Iowa encourage international students to believe in God, they are also able to communicate with people who hold other religious views or even atheists by having a conversation with them while participating in connection groups in the church. Church can be a very productive and socializing environment for international students, even if they aren’t Christian.

In my opinion, these international students are still afraid of having conflicts with Christians because they have come from parts of the world where different religions are the majority or have seen pastors harassing minorities in their own countries.

One of my friends, from the Muslim nation of Malaysia, even told me that she avoids attending church functions in the community because she worries that she might be discriminated against by Christians if she goes to a church or to one of the many connection groups that local churches provide for international students.

In addition to that apprehension on the part of a Muslim, I know of Koreans who also hold a negative image of Christian pastors based on experiences with several extremely conservative pastors in South Korea who tend to make offensive comments about Buddhists and the LGBT community a few months ago.

However, I have also met three Muslims and a few atheists from Asia while attending the International Friendship Connection, a social group for international students sponsored by Cornerstone Church, the largest church in Ames. This connection group is usually referred to as IFC and is a place for international students to socialize with others and study the bible with American students.

Three weeks ago, I came to the realization that having discussions in intelligent and logical ways is really important in American culture; not just for college education, but also in daily life. This fact struck me as I was listening to an international student from Iran during one of these IFC meetings.

The IFC members and I were reading the Bible together and the Muslim student from Iran was persistently asking very pointed questions regarding the reliability of the Bible. I can not say much about her comments because I do not consider myself extremely educated in Christianity or any other religion.

It was interesting that all Christians were discussing and addressing her concerns and assertions without being emotional or offensive to the Muslim student, which would be considered very unusual behavior of Christians in my country. Because the American education system tends to focus more on having discussions and presenting personal ideas logically in front of the public than I have noticed in many Asian countries, there were less people using emotional methods when persuading others who have different religions or attempting in any way to force them to become Christians.

In addition, there was an atheist student from Korea at a similar group function at Stonebrook church, another church in the area. Even though he believes that God does not exist, he told me he was surprised as well that Christians from Stonebrook church were being reasonable and did not bash him just because he criticized Christianity in front of them.

This indicates to me that these two churches are good places for international students to mingle with other students, even though they may not believe in God.

I am not trying to promote Christianity as a religion. I have never been to a church back in Korea and I still don’t have any particular religion, but I think that going to church can be a way for international students to become more socialized in the United States and learn its’ culture because people will not offend you just because you don’t believe in their God.

Moreover, it is meaningful to me that people who have different beliefs can have a reasonable discussion instead of being emotionally aggressive. Due to the importance of understanding individual differences in a democratic society, it is not a bad idea to approach Christians, or any religious group different from your own, around you. Not only for the purpose of making new friends, but also for having a reasonable debate regarding cultural differences.