What is work-study?


The largest work study employer on campus is ISU Dining, followed by Parks Library and then Recreational Services.

Danielle Ferguson

Work-study is a federal program that allows college students who show financial need to work part-time while attending school.

Students mark if they are interested in participating in the work-study program when they apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  

The student’s employer pays 40 percent of wages and the Federal Work-Study Program funds the remaining 60 percent. Departments that qualify as community service are responsible for 25 percent and work-study covers 75 percent of wages, according to the Financial Aid Office’s website.

If students are eligible for work-study, they can apply for a job on the Student Job Board on AccessPlus. 

How much a student will earn is dependent upon the financial need and employment position. 

Iowa State doesn’t allow students to work more than 20 hours per week. Most students in work-study work about 10 to 12 hours each week.

At Iowa State, the most popular work-study position is with ISU Dining, followed by Parks Library and then Recreational Services. 

Students can also find work-study options closer to their field of study.

In the 2011-12 academic year, 1,429 students participated in work-study. In the 2012-13 academic year, 1,083 students were in work-study, according to the ISU Fact Book.

For more information on work-study at Iowa State, click here