Top five student-created apps

Matthew Rezab

1) Pulse News: One of the most successful apps of all time, the Pulse News reader was created in May 2010 by two Stanford grad students who subsequently sold the app and dropped out of school. The app aggregates news from blogs, websites and social networks and combines them into one clear interface.

2) HBCU Buddy: Two Spelman College students developed this app in 2010 and won the AT&T Big Mobile on Campus Challenge for that year with it. The app allows users to view stats on every historically black college and university in the country, including average SAT scores and majors available.

3) Rover: Rover was the coming together of two Harvard guys’ programs. It allows students at Harvard and Cambridge to view deals, news and events in and around the two schools from their smartphones. The app was the 2009 Big Mobile on Campus Challenge winner.

4) Power Planner: The brainchild of U of Arizona student Andrew Bares, Power Planner is “the ultimate homework” app. It allows students to keep track of their schedules and even calculate their GPAs. The app recently won a top prize in the Big App on Campus Contest sponsored by Microsoft.

5) CleverMiles: This app is still in development, but the team behind driving app CleverMiles already beat out 350,000 other participants in a Microsoft software design contest. The students from Institute of Technology Sligo designed the app to connect with a car’s onboard computer and rate the driving for safety based on comparison with real-world crash figures.

Courtesy of gettingsmart.com

Read the full story on Iowa State’s newest student-made app here.