Kind notes try to boost self-esteem

Caitlin Boyle talks about self-esteem and why it’s important to think positively about oneself during her lecture on Tuesday Oct. 21 at the Great Hall.

Michaela Ramm

People are beginning to spread self-esteem in bathrooms all over the world, one post-it note at a time.

Operation Beautiful is a campaign to end negative self-talk through anonymous compliments and acts of kindness. This is done by participates posting positive messages in public places, most commonly on bathroom mirrors.

Cailtin Boyle, the creator of Operation Beautiful, spoke at Iowa State on Oct. 21 at the Memorial Union about her campaign.

Delta Delta Delta sponsored Boyle’s speech during their annual Fat Talk Free Week taking place through Friday.

The goal of Operation Beautiful is to end negative talk, or what is often called, “fat talk.”

“It’s about raising awareness that [being] negative about these things really does have an effect,” Boyle said. “People think that their negative thoughts or words don’t really have an impact on themselves, but they really do.”

Operation Beauty got its start in June 2009 when Boyle posted a note on the bathroom mirror of her community college that said, “You are beautiful.”

“I never set out to start this,” Boyle said. “I just started posting notes because I was looking for a way to make myself feel better, and it just went viral.”

The photo of Boyle’s note blew up on social media, sparking a moment that is still going strong today.

“I posted the photo on my personal blog, and asked people to do it too,” Boyle said. “Much to my surprise, they actually did it. The response was very immediate. It got a lot of national media attention and it snowballed from there.”

Since 2009, Boyle has received over 20,000 notes on her website. Boyle said there have been around 100,000 notes posted over the years.

Boyle said she was surprised at how popular it became.

“I think it’s popular because it’s so simple,” Boyle said. “It can be applied to anyone into any situation. It’s easier to say nice things about other people than it is to say nice things about yourself.”

The campaign has evolved into an international campaign. Boyle said that there has been a note on every continent in the world, including Antarctica.

Her lecture focused on the influence of media, particularly printed media such as magazines. The use of Photoshop in media and its effect on consumers was a major theme.

“The sociological statistics prove that media is an issue,” Boyle said. “It really influences how we see ourselves and what we expect from ourselves and other people. It’s sad because those images aren’t real.”

Michele Schaal, assistant professor of English and a faculty member of the women’s studies program, said that the media sells consumers beauty. However, campaigns like Operation Beauty help combat its negative impact.

“The technique is very good, because it’s not what you would expect,” Schaal said. “Posting this positive message on the mirror takes someone out of context, and they will think about it.”

The issue of self-esteem and body negativity can often stem from the media’s depiction of beauty.

Joel Geske, associate professor of journalism and women’s studies instructor, said the media targets young people when selling beauty and it can be difficult to combat later in life.

“The whole media image of women starts so young. I mean all the way back to Disney, and those animated cartoons,” Geske said. “When you look at those characters, there is a definite body image. All the Disney princesses look almost identical and yet highly sexualized.”

Schaal said there has been notable research to show that girls being sold beauty at a young age has a major impact.

“Research has shown that being concerned about your weight or dieting can start as early as six years old,” Schaal said.

Schaal said that the selling of beauty in the media is not a recent phenomenon.

“The importance for beauty in women has been around across cultures and across history,” Schaal said. “The emphasis [on] what makes a woman beautiful, or beauty being the best asset for a woman has been there for quite a while.”

Low self-esteem and body negativity do not just effect women.

“They target women and girls especially, but if you look carefully men are targeted as well,” Schaal said. “Eating disorders have begun to develop in men as well.”

Despite major influences of the media, Schaal said that people can still find a comfortable role in society.

“I don’t want to overemphasize, but I also don’t want to underemphasize the importance of media,” Schaal said. “You meet people, you read, you have a variety of experiences that will shape you.”

During her lecture, Boyle said consumers should think critically about the images they see in the media.

“What I try to encourage people to do is to consider why they put forth those images,” Boyle said. “The main reason is to make you feel horrible about yourself so that you buy that product.”

Geske said he does not believe Operation Beautiful will have a major impact.

“I wish I could say any advertising campaign has a tremendous effect on someone, but it’s just a small message,” Geske said. 

He said the effect of advertising is cumulative.

“Since we see these images repeatedly over the years, it’s very difficult to say we’re going to have this hypodermic effect,” Geske said. “If you stick one message out into the media, it won’t overcome all those years of other images.”

Schaal said the campaign would continue to be successful if it was pushed even further.

“It’s very effective, but what matters is the next step,” Schaal said. “Beyond raising awareness, how can we make change happen?”

Schaal said that next step would be improving the media overall.

Torie Dasilva, a sophomore in kinesiology, said she agreed with Boyle’s argument and believes a change is needed in media.

“I was inspired and touched how she went over publishing and the use of Photoshop,” Dasilva said. “We as young adults understand that it’s happening, but it doesn’t register all the time.”

Boyle said Operation Beautiful is not moving forward with any more steps to change media.

“I don’t currently have any plans in the works, but I’ll continue to post notes and give speeches as long as I can,” Boyle said.

Kate Brockschink, a sophomore in kinesiology, found the lecture insightful. She said she was grateful that Boyle talked with the students about seeking help with issues.

“I thought how [Boyle] emphasized seeking help was really great, because that’s really important,” Brockshink said. “We have such a skewed body image because of the media.”

Boyle said she has received a positive impact overall from her campaign.

“I’ve heard stories of people on their way to commit suicides, but stopped because they found a note,” Boyle said. “Not everyone has that life-altering moment, but sometimes it happens.”

Boyle said she is hopeful that her campaign will continue to be successful.

If you wish to participate in Operation Beautiful, visit Boyle’s website at operationbeautiful.com.